Night fishing for stagers?

Anyone ever consistently night fish for stagers?  What cons have you found while doing this, that may go overlooked?  Also do you find it effective enough to consistently try it?  Thanks!
I have a con. The guys in the kayaks that don't feel they need to have any nav or anchor lights on.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NymphO said:
5 hours ago, Thephildo0916 said:
Anyone ever consistently night fish for stagers?  What cons have you found while doing this, that may go overlooked?  Also do you find it effective enough to consistently try it?  Thanks!

I have a con. The guys in the kayaks that don't feel they need to have any nav or anchor lights on.

1 hour passed dark I've never had any luck. But maybe I'm doing something wrong and somebody else can give me a hint. Moonshines, jplugs everything glowing. Cant get a bite trolling 1hour after dark default_emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I should have added to my original post. I've done the first hour of dark a few times and a few hours into the dark as well. Never had a bite. I stayed late a few times in thinking that the king's eyes needed to adjust to the darkness before they wanted to feed again... Plenty of pier guys catch em, but I sure couldn't from the boat. I will only have lines in the water while the lights are on, and once the stagers get in the creeks I'm focused on deer.

If I had to try again, I'd just cast spoons or plugs in tight to the creek mouths.
  • Like 2

I think your approach has to change....as mentioned the pier guys do okay. So they are relatively shallow so focusing outside rivers and piers and outside casting distance of 3/4 oz cleos.  Coming in from the lake most pier fisherman will give you space but if you troll that pierhead too close and you can guarantee that someone will bomb your boat.  Not right but pier guys can get resentful.   

You also want something erratic and slow down your speed.

I have trolled glow lymans 10 feet down in 20 to 30 feet of water with setbacks around 80 to 90 feet.

It is disorienting and you definately need to be cautious.

These are from northshore

20200830_204846.jpg

20200830_202456.jpg

years ago we used to troll  the Black river  at midnight  and did very well   about 910/9/25  ish

Cold August nights lower stream temperatures and the trout and salmon are staging offshore awaiting the colder water. September nights will begin the spawning runs up small streams.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app