Trailering w/ Canvas up?

chowder

I have an Islander w/ a nice low profile canvas zip on wheel house enclosure, can you haul a boat w/ one of these up to keep rain & road dust out? We have hauled it w/ just the bimini up and that was fine, I can't really see why it would cause much more trouble to leave the sides and the back on w/ a couple of good bungees to take the whip out of the back section, but there must be some reason why I don't see more boats going down the road like that?

Chowder,

I sometimes tow mine with the top up BUT, I'm only going from Myers to Long point and

not going 55 or 60 mph usually don't go over 45. I don't think the support poles would take the draft of a 18 wheeler going in the opposite direction at 60 or 70 when your doing about the same. It probably would depend on the height of your top and how much air would get inside.

Splitshot115

Your bimini top has instructions to not tow it over 30 MPH. When it blows down, you have to buy new bars. I know. I even take mine down in high winds now and keep the boat throttled down when going into the wind.

• 1 month later...

I typically trailer from the house to the launch and launch to house with the top up on my 221 Islander. It's only a 5 mile ride and I usually don't go over 45mph. The top has held up for that short duration. However, when I tow the boat over the highway, I always lower the bimini and remove the side windows. I saw a bimini get destroyed once when a guy was towing his boat down I-81. The top was wobbling all around and finally, the canvas gave up the fight. Felt sorry for the guy.

Not a good idea Andy. I bought my top & enclosures last year and the guy specifically said not to leave it up if going over 30mph. It tears 'em apart. Too much money to gamble with, they're not made for highway speeds. ;)

My friends broke up and we didn't know it. The torn canvas and broken supports beat the hell out of the gunnels and the side of the boat. Looked like you took a claw hammer to it. ;( don't do it.