Erie Canal pike

Are there places on the canal in the Rochester area or something where people do well for pike because I have only caught one pike in the canal yet the dec says it’s great in the canal or some spot where you can fish from shore because places like black creek and buck pond seem better by boat especially because of the weeds up against the shore(ideally aren’t a big walk either because my tackle box is 22lbs)

Yeah I used to fish the one at Adams Basin too and just bass. Years ago the one at Newark had a lot of northerns and walleyes and a couple years ago I talked with a guy who had a cottage over there and he had been getting walleyes of his dock so the northerns may still be around.

I used to get a lot of northerns on bait (shiners and fatheads) near the spillway in Lyone right on Rt#31

Edited by Sk8man

• 6 months later...
On 10/7/2021 at 8:15 PM, old man said:

Swift’s landing park between palmyra and Newark. Right at the falls is best but  you can catch them all the way to Galloway road bridge. Snag city,bring extra gear 

What's the longest northern You've seen out of gnargua?

2 hours ago, Big fat pike said:

I tried there once and got snagged first cast

Snags don't indicate bad fishing. Very often it means good fishing and you need to be more precise with the cast or change presentations to adapt to your current circumstances. If a snag keeps you away, then you are overlooking LOTS of good fishing around you. 

Edited by idn713
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Snags don't indicate bad fishing. Very often it means good fishing and you need to be more precise with the cast or change presentations to adapt to your current circumstances. If a snag keeps you away, then you are overlooking LOTS of good fishing around you. 

I was hoping to get in there at some point by boat