Rod Holder Separate from DR?

Was looking through some pics of trolling set-ups and found a few where the rod holder was on the track/gunnel behind the rigger and the rod was off the side of the boat like a dipsy. Curious what the rationale is for such a set-up vs using the holder mounted on the rigger. Thoughts?

Edited by VanderLaan

I always start with mine in the rigger holder but a lot of times when a fish is acting crazy I need more room and start moving rods around and usually set them back where they belong after I get the fish netted and the hot rod reset but in that time there might be a photo taken of rods placed in random holders. Not uncommon for me to have a rigger rod stuck in opposite rigger or even in a dipsy holder.

I have removed the rod holders from the rigger and mount in the track. I can change angles as needed, and don't have to reach out as far in rough water to grab the rod.  I will stack 2 rods on 1 rigger when fishing deep also.

This the starboard side of my 17ft. tin boat. 

From left to right: diver rod, bottom rigger rod, top "stacked" rigger rod.

1655147070_Aog122013fishing004crop.thumb.jpg.c6b8217ca128e06a26c8dea989145164.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I used to run the on the rigger holder and then would have to move them to dipsy holders on the side whenever we had a fish on - thats with a 25ft boat.  This year, I'm adding another 6" piece of track right behind the rigger so I can just fold them down with a collapsible rod holder.