Jump to content

Rod holders and rigger mount location - Sylvan Offshore


Recommended Posts

Hey Team, I’m new to the site and hoping for some pointers on setting up this new to me boat to be a little fishier. I’m from kamloops BC but there is a lot of good intel on this forum and more similar boats (islanders) out there than here. Looking to set up primarily for trolling lakers, rainbows and Kokanee out here though will fish salmon a couple times a year hopefully. Anyway, looking for suggestions on rod holders (type and locations- like the look of the tube type that sit in (below) the gunnel (flush mount)) and if I should push my rigger (Scotty’s) locations further back. I haven’t fished planer boards but may get set up for it- have 3 kids that usually come out so a few rods to fish. 
Boat is a 97 sylvan offshore fisherman 2300 with a V8 mercruiser. 
Thanks for any perspective/advice!

 

 

F7C777A8-C5DF-4554-BDF5-A8178983C38C.thumb.jpeg.410710bba3728ad6023cf6f201f7b2f3.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Push your riggers back further then go with a track system.  Traxstech, Cisco, and Bert’s are options to consider.  Get the longest track you can fit on each side.  Then you can add rod holders and trees to fit your needs.  If the kids want to tube you pull off the holders.  Use a backer under the gunnel.  There is expense up front but there is a lot you can do with a track system.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Push your riggers back further then go with a track system.  Traxstech, Cisco, and Bert’s are options to consider.  Get the longest track you can fit on each side.  Then you can add rod holders and trees to fit your needs.  If the kids want to tube you pull off the holders.  Use a backer under the gunnel.  There is expense up front but there is a lot you can do with a track system.
Pretty much nailed it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my 22ft Crestliner Sabre. The dual rod holders on the gunwales are for dipsy driver rods or whatever. The vertical triple rod holders are for inline boards, then there is a dual rod holder on the stern between the downriggers that I use for a flat line (folded down in this pic).

 

I troll for salmon, trout and walleye with this boat, and I wouldn't change the setup. This is my 3rd Lake Ontario trolling boat, and this is as close to perfect as I can get without spending a fortune on rod holders.

 

Click on the picture to enlarge it

 

PXL_20220719_215020887.thumb.jpg.d8e012f624dbf16ed06c11a770be816f.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Todd in NY said:

This is my 22ft Crestliner Sabre. The dual rod holders on the gunwales are for dipsy driver rods or whatever. The vertical triple rod holders are for inline boards, then there is a dual rod holder on the stern between the downriggers that I use for a flat line (folded down in this pic).

 

I troll for salmon, trout and walleye with this boat, and I wouldn't change the setup. This is my 3rd Lake Ontario trolling boat, and this is as close to perfect as I can get without spending a fortune on rod holders.

 

Click on the picture to enlarge it

 

PXL_20220719_215020887.thumb.jpg.d8e012f624dbf16ed06c11a770be816f.jpg

 

 

for me i think he has the diver holder's way to forward for my liking but to each their own. i only run 2 riggers one off each corner. then i placed tracks on the boat and got cannon ratcheting holders. i have 3 on each side for divers. then i have an extra holder forward on the track next to the net holders on each side. but i like my holders as far back as they will go without getting in the way of the rigger or attaching the line to the release. but that is the way i like them. and it's just another choice. just do what works for you and you'll be fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Todd, that picture is great. I haven’t run Dipseys since being able to afford riggers… I suppose I should watch a few videos. 
 

I checked out the track systems, look super nice but I’m not sure I can justify $1500+ in rod holders…how often does a guy actually move location along the gunnel?  Angle and rod direction adjustment I can see being important but not sure on the lateral movement… however I suppose the track is not the expensive part. Need to get some time on the water and ponder this. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try to fish on a few boats that are set up differently. Then you will have a better idea of what might work for you. There are so many right ways to set up your boat, as long as it's right for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fishing on other boats and looking at other setups is good idea.  Especially if you are new to setting up a trolling boat.  Good rod holders aren’t cheap, but hold their value and with track setups can move to another boat.  Buy once-cry once.  Salmon fishing has never been an activity that is “cheap”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, The force said:

Thanks Todd, that picture is great. I haven’t run Dipseys since being able to afford riggers… I suppose I should watch a few videos. 
 

I checked out the track systems, look super nice but I’m not sure I can justify $1500+ in rod holders…how often does a guy actually move location along the gunnel?  Angle and rod direction adjustment I can see being important but not sure on the lateral movement… however I suppose the track is not the expensive part. Need to get some time on the water and ponder this. 

 

 

the cisco tracks are about the best prices i found. if your running riggers you would probably only run 2 divers off each side. but you need a 24" section for each 2 holders you plan on using. if you plan to run more than 2 just get longer tracks. i use cannon ratcheting holders and they work fantastic for walleye. but for salmon they shood do as good as on walleye. the great thing is when a fish hits you don't have to lean out over the side to fight the rod out. just grab the rod and lift and the holder ratchets to the vertical position then you can lift the rod out. I have a place where I found by searching the net where the single axis is 84.00 each. I think it's hodgesmarine.com. for less than 600.00 you should be able to set up 2 diver rods on each side.

 

you can post wanted open seat and give day and location and how far you are willing to drive. just remember fishing and running a boat isn't cheap. so be willing to share the cost.

Edited by sherman brown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For salmon, I run 2 downriggers (1 on each side, sometimes with a stacker setup with 2 rods per rigger), and only 1 dipsy per side.

 

My vertical triple rod holders are for running inline boards for walleye.

 

I don't usually run more than 3 lines per side for any type of fishing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Todd in NY said:

For salmon, I run 2 downriggers (1 on each side, sometimes with a stacker setup with 2 rods per rigger), and only 1 dipsy per side.

 

My vertical triple rod holders are for running inline boards for walleye.

 

I don't usually run more than 3 lines per side for any type of fishing.

Right, that makes good sense…thanks for the extra detail.  I usually stack off riggers though dipsy would be a good alternative… it’s a bit of work adjusting depth and resetting when stacking. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For safety and comfort, I would recommend mounting your riggers just forward of the vents in the gunnels. This will allow you to set them and get to a bite easily and safely.  Then I would recommend mounting your rod holders(3-4) forward of the riggers, but not so far forward that they hinder getting on/off the boat, but forward enough to not hinder rotating the riggers, etc. Track is nice, but not a necessity. Track only allows for less drilling into your boat and easy removal/modifications, etc. I included a pic of mine that works really well. I have Scottie riggers now, but you get the idea.  Dipsys go in the forward Cannon holder and occasionally a rigger rod in the aft Bert’s. The middle plastic Bert’s holders only hold planer board rods. 

E7DB91F7-06E6-463B-8193-79C156EC149C.jpeg

Edited by guffins fisherman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, one more question- being from the western side folks love Scotty out here… do you see any cons to using the Scotty flushmount bases and then various rod holder options (orca or power grip)? Not movable but angle and direction adjustable. I like the fact I came have them all pulled out and stowed with clean gunnels if we were tubing or something… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, guffins fisherman said:

For safety and comfort, I would recommend mounting your riggers just forward of the vents in the gunnels. This will allow you to set them and get to a bite easily and safely.  Then I would recommend mounting your rod holders(3-4) forward of the riggers, but not so far forward that they hinder getting on/off the boat, but forward enough to not hinder rotating the riggers, etc. Track is nice, but not a necessity. Track only allows for less drilling into your boat and easy removal/modifications, etc. I included a pic of mine that works really well. I have Scottie riggers now, but you get the idea.  Dipsys go in the forward Cannon holder and occasionally a rigger rod in the aft Bert’s. The middle plastic Bert’s holders only hold planer board rods. 

E7DB91F7-06E6-463B-8193-79C156EC149C.jpeg

Yea, back to the DR location… I watched one vid where they wanted them far enough forward that he could track balls on his chart… my last rigger was borderline but I’m not super crazy about that, just seems to add clutter. If I leave them where they currently are I’ll need to get a prop guard for my kicker as can definitely see hitting the cable. 
anyway, I did debate moving the vent, perhaps onto the side just over the edge and then mounting rigger where the vent is or at the red box… however I have a pesky canopy foot at the blue box… would almost need to be too far back to comfortably operate. 
I need to spend some time fishing… may just remove that rod holder base and mount it there pending clearances. 
 

Hate fishing with a canopy but is nice to have the protection from blazing sun and rain. 

7E434327-D5E1-42AD-832C-7A1BA4A15B43.jpeg

Edited by The force
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO after rigging several aluminum boats for trolling is that installing track and backer really helps spread the load of added rod holders/riggers on the gunnel.  Never done a Sylvan but my guess is some extra stiffness would be a benefit.  The aluminum gunnel can be fairly light and show some flex on aluminum boats especially when compared to gunnels on glass boats.  Use of backer material and added gunnel support is a consideration when doing your rigging.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took a picture of my interior, to show the differences between my Crestliner and your Sylvan. I have an outboard, so I don't have vents.

 

My dual rod holders are 36" forward of my transom "tray" (the red line) that holds my rigger weights, dipsy divers, etc. My step stool is in the only place that it can fit because of the rod holders in my gunwales. The step stool folds up and gets stowed away between the cooler and the transom while fishing. The step stool can be used on either side on the boat, depending which side the dock is on. There's plenty of room between the cooler and the gunwales.

 

If I'm messing with a rigger when the dipsy rod fires, someone else can grab the dipsy rod and fight the fish with us not being in each other's way. I run my riggers out to the sides, 90 degrees or 45 degrees depending on the current, so I have some distance between my rigger rods and dipsy rods.

 

1077086338_PXL_20220801_1925307672.thumb.jpg.4ce5b90ed0636b1d9928df28fae59301.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2022 at 8:11 AM, mr 580 said:

IMO after rigging several aluminum boats for trolling is that installing track and backer really helps spread the load of added rod holders/riggers on the gunnel.  Never done a Sylvan but my guess is some extra stiffness would be a benefit.  The aluminum gunnel can be fairly light and show some flex on aluminum boats especially when compared to gunnels on glass boats.  Use of backer material and added gunnel support is a consideration when doing your rigging.

Yep, valid point… def need some reinforcement/backer 

 

Edited by The force
Remove image
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 5:34 PM, Todd in NY said:

I took a picture of my interior, to show the differences between my Crestliner and your Sylvan. I have an outboard, so I don't have vents.

 

My dual rod holders are 36" forward of my transom "tray" (the red line) that holds my rigger weights, dipsy divers, etc. My step stool is in the only place that it can fit because of the rod holders in my gunwales. The step stool folds up and gets stowed away between the cooler and the transom while fishing. The step stool can be used on either side on the boat, depending which side the dock is on. There's plenty of room between the cooler and the gunwales.

 

If I'm messing with a rigger when the dipsy rod fires, someone else can grab the dipsy rod and fight the fish with us not being in each other's way. I run my riggers out to the sides, 90 degrees or 45 degrees depending on the current, so I have some distance between my rigger rods and dipsy rods.

 

1077086338_PXL_20220801_1925307672.thumb.jpg.4ce5b90ed0636b1d9928df28fae59301.jpg

 

Thanks for the pic and detail. Have some mechanical issues currently so haven’t gotten out to fish. 
 

Opinion on net storage? Want it clear of the rear and somewhere it can stay when moving spots… was thinking along the side of the front console (red arrow). Either tube to the side of console or a through gunnel mount. 

F9FC74FD-3E97-411E-AFA0-D0A1B07B0399.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That location should work for net storage. Whether you choose a tube type or flush gunnel mount is up to you. A net can sway back and forth in heavier seas, which can put a lot of stress on the gunnel. Also, the net catches all kinds of wind, which can blow the net material into any rods that might be nearby. A flush through-gunnel mount might be more stable, and easier to pull the net out of.

 

Again, maybe try different types of tube holders on other boats to see which one you think will best fit your liking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...