How do you get the "Fishy" taste out of trout?

Thanks...Somehow my old posted question is still dragging on. I was asking how to get the fishy taste out of a dozen frozen trout. I understand all the tricks of bleeding them, cutting off the dark meat, ice them on board and a dozen different ways to pre-treat them including smoking. I ended up cutting them up in tiny pieces and fed them to a couple neighbors' cats. 

I like to go fishing for the Sport...not the taste.  So maybe try trolling for chickens instead.

Finger Lakes trout eat greasy oily nasty  baitfish that they were never intended to eat by their Creator... Once the alewives got into the lakes and the lakes were turned into stocked   "trout  and salmon lakes" by the state,  we got fatty greasy strong tasting Salmonids. I  am among those that tend not to be all that high on having to do extensive    prep and conditioning to enjoy a piece of fish..

I know some guys love them, but personally I don't see the appeal.. I would rather eat a 3 pound Bluefish than a 3 pound laker.Both are strong, but the lakers have that fresh water "mossy" taste alongside the  taste of the greasy alewives they eat..  I typically broil them with butter and lemon, and sometimes they aren't bad,  other times, they are pretty bad.. Keeping them ice cold helps,  but honestly if I want to eat fish, I get out a bobber  and some worms, and try and find some  good size sunnies, perch, rock bass,  or Walleyes when I can find them...

Grab a food saver vacuum sealer. Best investment I have made. I overall find salmonoids pretty mild, potentially with rainbows the mildest. You can smoke them, as they take pretty good to light smoke like apple wood. Someone already mentioned a nice rub of light brown sugar and pink sea salt with a dash of garlic powder and black pepper does wonders.  I dont know if i would soak in milk, and would prefer a light salt brine if you go that route. People say the same about duck and goose, but we salt brine it changing the water 2x per day for a few days, then pat dry and right in the vacuum sealer. 

I just successfully deep fried lake trout and it was actually really good, first time ever.  It was a 20” lake trout I caught this morning and I bled it in the live well and threw it on ice.  When I got home I butterflied it and skinned it, then sliced off all the dark meat and the lateral line.  Then salted it and soaked in the fridge in lemon juice for an hour. (Thanks sk8man I believe who recommended that step) After that, rinsed it and patted dry.  Cut the fillets in 2” chunks and salt/ peppered,  Dredged in GF flour because I’m a celiac, then refrigerated in a zip lock for an hour.  Deep fried in vegetable oil with a pat of butter mixed in.  Ate it with seafood chowder I bought at the wharf yesterday before I drove home from Cape Cod.  It wasn’t walleye but was definitely not far off.  This was the first lake trout I kept in many years and will now be keeping one each trip if I plan on eating it that day.  Not sure how it would work with a Lake O fatty but try it with a smaller one and it will surprise you.

Like others stated, I don't keep trout/salmon from Lake O or the fingers.  Exception is probably a false run rainbow in December or an atlantic.  My experience is that the fish are edible but not tasty.  When I do get a laker, I usually give it to my mom who makes a chowder.  I save the head for my Chinese friend.  If there are any eggs I use them for fish bait.  (Like others have said) I always recommend bleeding them and I also think it makes a difference to cool them down on ice as soon as possible.  Remove the skin and the fatty layer beneath the skin and the lateral line.  No belly meat.  I do not think lakers freeze well so try to eat fresh as possible.

• Simplest recipe is to submerge filets in a baking dish with normal italian dressing (400-450 - 30 min). This is the one I recommend to novice fish cookers.
  • Dry brine might be the second easiest.  Any rub on inside of the fish.  Put cut sides together and leave in the fridge overnight in a bag or a dish.  The salt will bring the water out of the fish and then reabsorb it with the spices.  Rinse off the rub, pat dry and coat lightly with spices of you choice.  Then you can bake, grill, or smoke it.
  • 3rd easiest is to chunk it up and poach in steeping water containing celery and salt.  dip the cooked chunks in garlic butter and imagine you are at red lobster.

My overall recommendation is to let it go and go buy some wild caught sockeye or pink salmon.  As others have said the fish don't taste as good since alewives became the primary forage fish.  Catch and cook a trout from Erie and you will understand.  I have a hard time believing anything that is puking up smelt in the boat is going to taste bad - I wasn't wrong.  They taste really good.