-
Posts
9,908 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by GAMBLER
-
-
Here are a couple questions I think about when I recap this season: 1. How unstable was the weather this season? 2. How could the bait population explode that much in one year? 3. Did I fish offshore in more stable water to find more fish? 4. What were the conditions like the fall these matures were hatched in the wild? 5. How many days did you want to pull your hair out because the screen was full of marks and you could not get them to go? This season, the winds were unstable and as we all know, trout and salmon seek stable water. I for one did not spend much time way offshore looking when the inside waters were slow. I know of a couple guys that made the run all summer and were greated with huge numbers of all year classes of kings. The bait we marked this season was amazing. I can remember days in the 90's where we did not mark an entire school of bait all day. With all the bait, we have more competition with our lures. With all these wild fish from the salmon river and possibly other tribs, we can expect up and down year classes due to flooding, droughts, snagging and other issues that challenge the wild kings. We have been spoiled in the seasons before this year (2012, 2011, and 2010). Unfortunatly every year will be different.
-
This season the lakers got hit hard. The 3 seasons prior they were left alone for the most part. And you are right Steve, laker fishing is work but only if you are doing it the right way!
-
Another reason the lake trout are getting bigger because the pressure has been off the fishery the past couple seasons. The king fishing was good enough the past couple years and the charters did not have to lean on the lake trout population to help support their trips. Same thing goes for the browns.
-
The laker season closes October 1st. They do spawn without much success. Usually offshore steelhead and future year class kings can be found offshore all over the water column. Some years it rocks and some years it is tough. Browns can be found along shore like the spring once the water cools some. Closer to some tribs usually holds more fish.
-
Absolutely Unnecessary
GAMBLER replied to buzzer123's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Daiwa saltist hands down.
-
This would make on hell of a sport fishery since Atlantic populations are piss poor for the amount stock ( mostly by Canada). Look at the numbers stocked in Canada compared to the numbers that return. Hundreds of thousands stocked with a hundred or so returns every year. Remember Atlantics spawn more than once in a lifetime so that makes that hundred or so even worse. The dead kings are not an issue. If you ever want the truth about Atlantics, log on to spoonpullers and look up a guy by the screen name Kwikfish. He will give you some good facts on Atlantics
-
LOC Derby question?
GAMBLER replied to SalmonHound's topic in Tournament Talk, Shows, Events & Seminars
Email dave chilson. He might give up that info. -
Why not- Sandy Creek Live Report
GAMBLER replied to NickR's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Why not- Sandy Creek Live Report
GAMBLER replied to NickR's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Where can I buy trolling gear online?
GAMBLER replied to bassman69767's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
I forgot to mention Atommik. I buy a lot of stuff through Tom because he supports the fishery. Just look how many derbies he supports with free stuff. -
What you consider to be a Lake Ontario Trophy
GAMBLER replied to MadPerry's topic in Open Lake Discussion
Here are my minimums for a wall mount. All of these figures are with in reach in Lake Ontario. I would love a 40lb king but how many legit 40lb kings are really caught out of Lake Ontario? King - 35lbs Coho - 18lbs Atlantic - 15lbs Steelhead - 16lbs Brown - 15lbs Lake Trout - 20lbs. -
What to do with fish after weigh in at tournaments?
GAMBLER replied to rolmops's topic in Open Lake Discussion
If they are big enough, they go on the wall. If they are eater sized they become food for me someone I have lined up that wants some filets. -
Oak Dipsy Insanity
GAMBLER replied to Has Been's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Sandy creek 8.22
GAMBLER replied to NickR's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Where can I buy trolling gear online?
GAMBLER replied to bassman69767's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
FISHHBT.com. I have purchased a bunch of stuff from this site and their prices are great. Just look at the prices of a saltist linecounter reel compared to other sites. They are also located in Rochester. It is nice to put some money back into the local economy. -
Can't live if it is released to the cooler. I have caught fish over the years with broken gill rackers, busted up jaws and all sorts of other injuries that you thought would have killed them.







