Make sure you buy a electric or propane. The charcoal ones are a lot tougher to regulate the heat. I just purchased an Smokehouse electric smoker from Gander Mountain this fall for 139.99. Lots of room. Works great.
I saw 19' on the weather bouy 3 years ago in November. It was one of those huge wind events that fall. Could not imagine what that would be like in my 22' boat.
Fishhawk X4. No coated cable to replace (in turn your downrigger counters are still accurate), battery life is great (did not change batteries all season last year), works without skipping a beat 120'+ down, and a smaller probe so you have less blow back. Depth Raider and sub troll are good units also. They are a little cheaper than the Fish Hawk but the replacement of coated cable over the years will make up the difference.
Not Seneca but Lake Ontario. I have caught some really big lakers on the bottom in 180 -220 off of Rochester. There may be some laying on the bottom in Seneca also. Worth a try.
[quote="kliph
Most of the time copper is run with Dipsy's. So the whole 600 ft is not out.
Copper with dipsys???? Please explain. Why, when the copper gets down enough without a dipsy? Kind of a waste of cash if you ask me. SS wire rigs are a lot cheaper and achieve the depths needs 99% of the time.
Copper rigs are too expensive to replace if they get tangled. I will stick with one per side. Besides, the further out your boards are, the more chances some bonehead rec boater or sailboat will find them.
If this derby was being run by the same people, I would be a little hesitant in signing up. It is a different owner. The first year of the derby was a good one. If the owner did not try to expand it as fast as he did, it might still be here.
It is not being run by the same people. I would not be worried about getting screwed again. If we lived life worrying about getting screwed, we would all be in trouble.
If the carp did get in the great lakes, there are 2 way into Lake Ontario. The Niagara River and the Welland Canal. The trip over the falls would not be a fun one but could they survive? Could they put an electrical barrier in the Welland Canal and the Niagara to keep them out of Lake O? How about a barrier at Lake St. Clair (I believe it's thd Detroit River)? Not a good situation no matter how you look at it.
From what I have read on wind turbines, they are detrimental to migritory waterfowl and other migratory birds. What about the 1000's of migratory waterfowl that winter on Lake Ontario or stop here on their migration routes?
The only thing I could think of for the increase is the LOC plans on losing some participants due to our bonehead govenor and his resident and non-resident license increases.
I got an email saying the derby fees are going up. I don't mind paying the extra $5.00 if the prize money is bumped up. Will it happen? As of right now, the prize money looks the same on the website.