Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Interesting article. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hunting-is-slowly-dying-off-and-that-has-created-a-crisis-for-the-nations-many-endangered-species/ar-BBZA5Pc?ocid=bingoverlayoff2
  2. Yup unfortunately you're right Bill.
  3. far from a prude but when millions of families with mixed ages watching it was very inappropriate in terms of the underlying message.
  4. I think I got this one right in terms of predictions....too bad I wasn't so lucky with my team the Bills Very good game still recovering from all the food and drinks
  5. I'll take them Chris and can get them when we meet up/cash.
  6. They recommend bolting through as it does not hold screws or rivets well.
  7. I go with spoonfed's suggestion. Ii used to snell my hooks but for years now use the knots much quicker and they work fine with either knot mentioned.
  8. Another place to try jigging is right out in front of deans Cove and slightly to the the south side of the ramp. Don't have to go out very far and it drops off with fish usually hanging there.
  9. KC all the way if Mahomes is on his game and their so so defense doesn't fall apart and they can deal with the run game.
  10. That is really what it is all about.
  11. My response was essentially in agreement with chinook35 response (done after mine was posted) although I didn't think it needed to be specifically mentioned as far the presumption of innocence in my post since it is commonly known in our society after the Supreme Court ruled on it in 1895, its in most state Constitutions and also UN Human Rights declaration (internationally) guarantee and I was referring to after being found guilty. but apparently someone took offense to that.....too bad....I'm not about to apologize for the post.
  12. I meant the coloration (faint coloration) only and was further elaborating on the previous sentence Girth wise etc. it looked fine and color could have reflected lack of contrast in photo too but the clothing looks pretty black.. Notice I said lateral midline section not lateral line
  13. Brown trout. Spotting below the lateral midline section, spotting on adipose fin, eye extends beyond the rear edge of the mouth. The spotting itself sure doesn't look very characteristic of a brown though.Would be nice to see the tail shape as noted above and the fins look pretty light colored for a brown too but they (the fish) vary greatly in coloration among the lakes and stream environments too. It looks kind of anemic for a brown or landlock
  14. Sweet! Being hardcore pays off
  15. You won't be sorry
  16. Nothing like true romance
  17. Yep.....and glad to be a free thinker who looks at the individual candidate not the party affiliation and dogma connected with it.
  18. That is the way most of the connections were done originally with most releases (e.g. back to the seventies for me)
  19. Yeah folks used to spray their lures with WD40 too and that isn't a great idea on several levels. Superstitious behavior has many avenues of expression
  20. Rob - You may be aware of this site but just in case... http://www.pennyanboats.com/
  21. In his view alone the entire NYS population are his "subjects". But like a lot of other politicians they are legends in their own minds and as a point of fact I am nobodys "subject" rolmops.. and I hold no allegiance to either political party.
  22. I think it is usually the last Sunday in March
  23. Ah OK. As far as the kicker it would probably depend on whether you have enough space on the transom (you didn't mention what type main motor you already have but usually I/O, inboard or Tunnel drive etc. on those boats) or if using a bracket you'd need a very stout one especially if the 25 hp is a four stroke. That motor with power tilt will be pretty heavy despite the size of the boat. I'm assuming you are intending to fish Lake O? Or Finger Lakes too? Most of the lures and attractors can be used in both places but often the rod and reel setups but you didn't mention what rods and reels you may already have. As far as Lake trout fishing in both Lake O and the Finger Lakes one of the most productive things to use with riggers or on wire rigs is cowbells (Hammerhead Spinners are very good) with Gambler Rigs behind them. They come in many color combinations and sizes but they all work well. I prefer the #4 and #5 cowbells and the regular sized gambler Rigs but the micro sized ones work on the Finger Lakes too. These cowbells offer less resistance in the water than the older style metal ones (e.g. Luhr Jensen's and others). They can be found here: https://www.hammerheadchartersandtackle.com/40-50-spinners/ The gambler rigs can be found here: https://gamblerrigs.com/ As far as salmon and trout : everyone has favorite spoons and stickbaits on here and they have been discussed in depth on various threads here so maybe searching for those threads would help you select some specific ones to try. Size is important; It is best to have an assortment of sizes in both spoons or sticks and a range of colors both light and dark and some just silver, brass, and copper. The magnum spoons seem to be less productive on the Finger Lakes at least for me but at some times in the season they are very productive on Lake O. Although downriggers can be workhorses there are times when they don't necessarily excel out there and wire dipsy divers are a main way to catch trout and salmon especially when used with attractors such as flashers and Spin Doctors which came in a number of sizes as well. The attractors can also be run behind downriggers and commonly employ flies behind them or spoons. Combinations of green and white has always been a "go to" for me on both the attractor and fly. As you go along other setups can be added such as leadcore and copper wire run from planer boards. I know this is just general information and it is intended to give you an idea what to search for on here for specific recommendations regarding lures, colors etc. There is a wealth of information already available here on just about anything you can imagine if you research it. P.S. Another thing to help with the rigger fishing if you haven't already done it is get some shark shaped weights that offer less resistance in the water than the older style weights so that your depth penetration is better. Some older electric motors only were recommended for 10 lbs max and in general the heavier weights tend to create less "blowback" of the downrigger wire. Bikinibottom on here makes some very nice effective shark shaped weights in a number of weights and are highly recommended.
  24. I'm going to suggest something that might seem a bit off the point but maybe a good idea: before you get too far along take a charter from one of the guys on this website. Ask in advance if you can bounce some ideas and questions off them. Make a list of questions beforehand that is relevant to your situation (e.g like the things above). Watch very closely how things are done on that boat and how it is setup and see if there are things you can replicate on your own boat. I know it costs money for a charter (maybe get some buddies to go in on it with you), and seems like it might not be absolutely necessary but it could turn out to be the most productive way to answer your questions and gain actual hands on experience which can shorten the learning curve by years rather than going out in your boat alone the first time (not a great idea anyway) and trying to figure out stuff that was suggested on here.
  25. Just an FYI as something to consider. My boat is only 18-6 ft but it is pretty wide and the trailer I have has a wide wheel base. I originally had a (used) Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with the towing package to tow the boat which weighs about 3500-4000 fully loaded (60 gal gas tank etc.). The Explorer was listed as being able to tow that weight. What I found however was that even when the tongue weight was finely tuned (important) to the situation when I reached about 60-65 mph on the thruway the "tail began to wag the dog" and the front wheels of the Explorer felt as though they were "floating". The wheelbase of the trailer was outside that of the Explorer by quite a bit and at speed it was controlling the vehicle. I purchased a used Ford Expedition which is based on a truck chassis with a wider wheelbase than the Expedition and the problem was solved and you'd never even know the boat was back there. The situation might have been improved with a "sway bar stabilizer" but I'm not sure.
×
×
  • Create New...