Lake Erie bite

Gill-T

Look at 70 to 90 FOW west of the harbor.  My last trip with father, son, grandson and buddy did 17 eyes, laker and 11lb steelhead.  First timers they dropped some fish as well.  Lead 7 to 10 color, divers and riggers - plugs and spoons.  Grandson took the big steelie which was a treat.  Biggest eye was 6lbs plus and they had a couple of 5's.  Fishing has been good when you can get out.

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

• Like 3

Gill. Over the past two weeks there seem to be two schools of fish out there. Do not overlook the 55’ water just to the east of the Purina plant.  There are a lot of fish in that depth but a lot of throwbacks.  Not much between 60-90 and then you will find schools of smelt and walleyes ,bows and lakers.  The walleyes were averaging bigger out there. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Fwiw… it looks like the fall brawl is including all US Lake Erie water this year (including NY).  Closest weigh station is still quite a haul near Geneva OH I think….but might be worth it to the guys who don’t put their boats away.

• Like 1

If one were to fish the Fall Brawl, you would want Ohio license option too.  The problem on the east end of Erie is that with prevailing winds the days you get out is limited.  We’ve had a good run of weather lately, but forecast today looks more “normal” for fall weather.  Looks tough to get out for next 4 or 5 days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent a nice morning on the water off Buffalo today. One walleye, two smallmouth, and a handful of large perch was all. We never turned on fish. Mostly, exploring and enjoying the nice weather for November. 

IMG_5857.jpeg

• Like 2

Derby fished today out of Marblehead. I booked with Ross Robertson’s outfit after my crew all backed out to deer hunt. I didn’t think we could make it happen due to 30 mph winds last night and 15-25 mph winds today but I learned how the bass islands really block waves from building and allow for fishing on the lee side on normal blow days. The water color was bad but the fishfinder was packed with hooks. First fish was 6.75 lbs which we released. The rest of the limit were 4 lb males which will find a grease bath one day. Nice change of pace from deer hunting. Going to try to make one more trip down before the derbies end. 

IMG_5883.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Fished today off Kelly’s island and did really well. We threw back some fish to keep our limit open for the nite bite.  Best bait was chartreuse scatter rap taildancer flatlined 100-120’ back on outside board.  Inside boards caught with two ounces 70/40 with Bandits, Rumble B’s, and Bombers. Slide diver with Northport Wild thing went a few times, rigger a few times and zero on bottom bouncer. What a great fishery. The graph was full all day. 

Four hours of trolling today over the same water. Wierd 5’ ocean rolller waves brought in some clean water over night and morning which made the bite more challenging until we found a piece of stained water. Still able to scratch out 11 walleye before hitting the road. Great trip, no derby fish but lots of fillets. JOB charters pulled out with us today out of Marblehead and showed us their clients 12 lb er that would have placed second in derby but was caught one hour too late after the scales closed. 

• Like 1

This one pulled the board back better than any walleye we caught. This was the only “junk” fish we caught. All told we caught 29 walleye in 11 hours of trolling. Nothing over 6 lbs

image000000.jpeg

• Like 2