Fresh Out of the Clamps

Hello All,

I'm working on a woodshop project for my boat. It will be a wooden tackle box made from rare chestnut lumber. It will look like those old machinists' toolboxes when it's done, with a front door that swings down and a lidded top compartment. I have used an ugly old metal tackle box for the last 15 years, this will be a step up. 

PXL_20230629_235646259.jpg

• Like 1

I pulled an old colman metal ice chest out of someone's garbage , took the driver's seat out and used that for my seat and tackle box . It rusted and I found another one , same thing and did it again . 

Nice job though.  It looks like you took your time on it . And that coming from a guy who is a professional trim carpenter  since 1979 and made my share of built-ins , fireplace mantels etc . 

Not what I want to do when I come home . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rolmops said:

Nice project. Where did you find the chestnut wood?

You can still find a few chestnut trees sprouted up from old root systems. They usually grow until they are a few inches in diameter then die from blight. Sometimes they get bigger before they succumb. I am a professional Forester, and have the opportunity to find these. If the landowner lets me take these dying trees, I saw them up into lumber. There really is no market for them, not enough supply to create a demand. 

• Like 1

A bit off topic but my neighbor and I recently planted a dozen chestnuts down in Seneca cnty. I  planted the collossul (sp) chestnut out of I think washington st.supposed to be blight resistant. My kids will find out. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:16 PM, Pete Collin said:

You can still find a few chestnut trees sprouted up from old root systems. They usually grow until they are a few inches in diameter then die from blight. Sometimes they get bigger before they succumb. I am a professional Forester, and have the opportunity to find these. If the landowner lets me take these dying trees, I saw them up into lumber. There really is no market for them, not enough supply to create a demand. 

That’s what I read in some articles. My curiosity was peaked because of articles About hybridized Japanese/American chestnut trees that show blight resistance and that are being planted in the Virginias and now you mentioning chestnut wood