Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

October 7 PM

W wind 5-20 MPH

Partly cloudy skies

First sit for me in the NYS deer woods and it was a good one. Snuck into the stand at 230. That was pretty early but I knew I had a few branches that needed to be trimmed.

Cameras were surprisingly slow yesterday. I figured with the cool temps deer would be active but apparently nope. By 445 does really starting moving. Around 615 or so I had a first year rack show up and walk by the stand at 28 yards. To my surprise he was being followed by a wide racked mature 8 pt. Of course he didnt follow the same path as the other deer and fed for about 30 minutes from me at 50 yards. Well by this time I am covered up in does including a bunch directly down wind. They were quiet uneasy and eventually blew and took off. The situation in the woods was very tense after that and I eventually watched the buck disappear back where he came from.

Great night 25+ deer (2 bucks including one shooter)

I got out of my stand yesterday at 717 and when I got to the truck I had a camera notification. So I sat and checked pictures before I left and one of my targets walked by the stand I just left at 730. I couldn't help but laugh. I guessed right this after but he just showed up late.

Screenshot_20231008-085403.png

Screenshot_20231008-085352.png

Bucks were moving last night! Since 730pm last night I have had 12 different bucks on camera including 2 matures.

Pic is a couple of first racks bumping heads.

Screenshot_20231008-0903212.thumb.png.d6aff8e13ff24f1feb4b6db3c090f025.png

17 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Damn the bucks were active overnight!!! I figured with the wind yesterday they would be. Cameras blew up after midnight!

Same in 8r #1and 2 both showed up up top ..got up to take a p… at 0300 saw both shooters ,, wind check and 3 hrs later in the stand … Dam cameras….beautiful morning so far …

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Legacy said:

No doubt a high probability morning... wishing I was in the woods instead of heading to work!

A few doe earlier.. and just had my first close encounter with a bear ,, looked like a two year old probably 150 ish?? He came in right behind me which is up wind in this stand ,, as I stood up he spooked  and bolted .. made the ticker pump !!! Not sure he could even see me .. mabee the wind spun on me a bit ..No shot.. 

• Like 2

So I have multiple good bucks daylighting past one of my stands. Mostly PM visits during the daylight. There has been am visits but Im reluctant to hunt the mornings because Im not sure exactly where they are coming from and my approach is in that direction.  The issue is I can only hunt the stand on a north wind. So today I went in and hung a new set about 60 yards away that I can hunt on a SW wind. I was hoping to get in there tonight but I past with the rain in the forecast. 

Well Tuesday night we decided to go sit me my dad and my cousin.  One of our shooters bucks was there the night before on multiple cameras, so we said let's give it a try!   My cousin had to work a bit was able to get there around 4 me and Dad got set up by 3.  So before my cousin got there had a couple bucks in one of the food plots eating.  Told my cousin to sit a different one so he didn't spook those ones. So he got in the stand  and 15 min later he sends me a text better get the dear hurst ready.   I was like what did u shoot. (we aren't shooting does). And he's like it's my biggest bow buck 

Not 100% sure which one he is thou.  I'm like ok he thought it was one of the broken times bucks we have on camera.  So I was like he said **** looked good so I said ok wait an hour or so and then go check the blood.   About 30 min later my dad's calling me. I have a doe like 30 yds in front of me. So I text him I'm like what's up deer too close to me to talk.   He's like I shot one. So I called him after the deer worked a little ways from me.  I was like what did u shoot he goes I think it's the broken tine buck but not 100% sure. I was like ok  cool  he said 20 yd shot and he thinks it crashed right behind him.    

So after a bit my cousin goes to look and my dad waits about 30 min and just checks where's he heard it last. And within 10 minutes both of them send me pics they had their deer!  Both deer weren't the deer we initially  thought either haha.   So I waited like 10 minutes and got down and went to my dad he was closer to where I was sitting.  And had my cousin go get out sxs and bring it over.  And we celebrated and got both bucks out and took a few pictures.   Fun night for sure!  Now it's time for me to get it done!  Been out pretty every morning and evening so far only missed one morning sit.   And seen 8 bucks but all small.  Waiting to get into good spots till big ones daylight more so just hunting more observation spots and spots I can take a doe if I want!  

IMG_20231010_200231760.jpg

Edited by machzrcr
  • Like 9

I got in the stand last night and had deer around me the whole time. Scored a nice 8pt. Good to make a good shot with a bow after last year’s missed shot. Builds some confidence for sure. 

my 9yr old son said “dad you know why you made a good shot, because i make you practice so much”. We have been shooting a-lot together which makes it super fun. 

made me proud. He can’t wait to be old enough to hunt and neither can I. 

IMG_9267.jpeg

IMG_9269.jpeg

• Like 9