Yes yes and Yes:lol: I switched most of my spoons to Mustad 9510 xxx stainless siwash singles about 30 years ago, continue to do so, and never looked back. I know everyone here has their own personal preferences but what I found early on is that with trebles the fish (especially large fish with the weaker type trebles) can work the trebles out of their mouths by pressing down on the two disengaged hooks freeing the third engaged hook and getting free. I seldom (almost never) lose fish on spoons with these singles. I leave stick baits alone as the balance can be touchy. The trouble now is that Mustad seems to have stopped making those particular hooks and now seems to be concentrating on the larger salt water hooks. There are other very good single  hooks on the market but the points tend to be shorter in length so I still prefer the Mustads. Luckily, I switched over over the years with well over a thousand spoons so I'm still in good shape:lol: (Owner, Gamakatsu, and VMC also make quality hooks)

Edited by Sk8man
  • Thanks 2

I haven't been disappointed when using them. but I don't go to all the trouble of changing them out. but if I buy anything with them already on I don't change them because they have always worked great for me. actually, I like the 1 hook over treble hooks for getting the hook out of the fish and in some cases the net. 

• Thanks 1

Ditto on being much easier to release fish with singles (just grab shaft of hook with needle nose pliers and a twist of the wrist while fish still in the water) and fewer problems (perhaps none) getting tangled in the net.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Usually I use size 1/0 for small spoons, 2/0 for mediums, and 2 or 3/0 for magnum sized spoons. Sometimes there are differences between manufacturers on hook sizes though so these refer to the Mustads By the way the hooks I use are open ended so it is just a matter of clenching carefully with pliers to attach them. With Suttons I cut the treble right off and replace on the existing solid ring.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

I've been changing trebles to singles for close to 50 yrs.  I use 3/0 Gammys on 28 size spoons.  Point the hook towards the cup side of the spoon.  I've found the get a much more solid hookup; are easier to sharpen; don't get caught in net; are easier to remove from carpet flooring as well as easier to remove from fingers.  (heh, heh, heh)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If one of the trebles hits bone good , the fish ain't getting off . I don't like anything smaller than a 1/0 . The Mags have 2/0 trebs that come stock. My soft brown rods , different story . 

I find that  I tend to drop a lot more on  my dipsys with 1/0 trebs and 28 size spoons . I have dedicated dipsy spoons I replaced with single hooks . The 2/0 mags no problem . 

I think the action on the spoons is a little more eratic with a treb .