Rods per person on the boat?

13 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

You aren’t wrong for having an opinion, others aren’t wrong for having their own personal choices. Your boat, your choice. I’m a minimalist when it comes to Lake O. I will say when I fish with others here, on their boats, I enjoy watching what they do. 

Right on Bill!  Today's society we are too worried about what everyone else is doing.  No one forces us to run what technology or equipment that is out there.  

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

Sorry guys , it's BS 

You can justify it in your mind any way you want . It just ain't right . 

Sorry if your  neck gets sore staring at a live scope when you can actually in real time place your bait in front of the fish  and watch them hit it . 

A long time ago I asked a question to some out there . 

It was " if they made some sort of electronic device that every time  you were around  a fish  it would automatically hit your lure , would you buy it ? " 

Sadly , there are some that would rush right out and buy it . And we would be in Hell. 

And then  post pics on here and be proud of themselves . 

Where will this end , probably not in a good place.  

I'm glad I'm old , I see the thing I love to do more than anything turned into a joke . 

The last 2 years there has been an explosion of bass boats up at the St Lawrence in June. Hardly ever seen more than a few in a day before then. All now with 4 12”+ screens each with a dude on the front of the boat finding the bass on the beds while looking through a “traffic cone”. I’ve plucked a few fish off beds once in a great while, but man this is just gross to watch….

If you all recall , snagging of both salmon AND TROUT we're both legal .And in my younger days ,I did it not knowing  any better because we were told they did not bite and everyone else was doing it . I remember there was a ton of pushback about banning it , especially from bait shops because of the lack of revenue they might incure . And back in the horse and buggy days , trot lines , spearing , gill nets  were also legal . But hey ,  fish the way you want . 

You really cant trust , or at least I can't , Bass masters or MLF . Any organization that would have or condone fishing Tournaments during spawning season is suspect . 

I'm sorry to say this but this is a big issue . It changes fishing and not for the better . This just gives the environmentalist Anti hunting fishing people all the ammo the need . And I also must admit  , I would side with them on this . I can't turn my head in this . 

Seemingly this is all done in the name of winning a fishing tournament . Win at all costs , the ends justify the means . I really have no respect for that . What everyone else does affects the rest of us . 

Hey Gambler , its funny you posted the pic of the 2 guys with the Wii visors . I was thinking that was next . And then you posted that . 

7 minutes ago, HB2 said:

If you all recall , snagging of both salmon AND TROUT we're both legal .And in my younger days ,I did it not knowing  any better because we were told they did not bite and everyone else was doing it . I remember there was a ton of pushback about banning it , especially from bait shops because of the lack of revenue they might incure . And back in the horse and buggy days , trot lines , spearing , gill nets  were also legal . But hey ,  fish the way you want . 

You really cant trust , or at least I can't , Bass masters or MLF . Any organization that would have or condone fishing Tournaments during spawning season is suspect . 

I'm sorry to say this but this is a big issue . It changes fishing and not for the better . This just gives the environmentalist Anti hunting fishing people all the ammo the need . And I also must admit  , I would side with them on this . I can't turn my head in this . 

Seemingly this is all done in the name of winning a fishing tournament . Win at all costs , the ends justify the means . I really have no respect for that . What everyone else does affects the rest of us . 

Hey Gambler , its funny you posted the pic of the 2 guys with the Wii visors . I was thinking that was next . And then you posted that . 

Thats why I posted it.  After reading what you wrote, that popped up on Facebook and I started laughing thinking about this thread! 

I would love to try "video game fishing" for bass at least once.  Really not my thing but would love to understand it better.  There is probably a lot more technique involved than a lot of us might care to admit to.  That said, droves of people using this tech on spawning bass is where I would, personally draw the line.  I will, totally, admit to harassing a spawning bass or two in my day .....

I know I mentioned this before but we, desperately need more people in the hunting and fishin game and need them to vote.  If they don't, we will have a LOT more to complain about.....

These ecosystems are fragile . Just look at what a zebra mussle or a  goby did to the great lakes . 

It takes a lot of years to grow a legal size bass . And they aren't stocked . Pluck to many out of a small bass lake and it could be decades to recover . 

As sportsman , we should be stewards of the resources and forward thinking . But from the response on here from some , it's not about that . Which I guess is why we need big brother . 

HB2 is not alone in his concerns and they are valid in light of the current trends. There is going to be some threshold crossed where the brakes will have to be put on and it may have to come from big brother if people are unable to keep from totally ruining the entire fishery. The unfortunate fact is that too many people already ignore the existing limits (still snagging and lifting, taking multiple limits in a day etc.) and disrupting the spawning process (whether treading through rudds in streams, bothering bass on nests, hammering the perch while spawning etc.). There are a lot of things that require a closer look as well as sportsmen adhering to existing regs and need for ethics. "Self-policing" has always been a problem in our society whether relating to fishing or many other things. I'm all for personal choice, and freedom to select techniques, and equipment, but the reality is that our environment IS becoming more fragile and vulnerable and we need too carefully evaluate our  own actions in pursuing our hobby (or obsession) so that we have a viable fishery for the next generations.

• Like 1

Funny how some want govt vehemently out of their lives and yet so quickly change their tune when things aren't going their way.

Yes, ecosystem is fragile.  Mussels changed things.  Takes years to recover, but recovery is happening.  Areas of Concern are being cleaned up.  Polution laws have gotten stricter. (no thanks to a certain political party) Bass are getting larger.  Alewives seem to be coming back.  Sturgeon are coming back.  Hatcheries are getting more than enough eggs.  Natural Repro is occuring.  Bass tournaments have grown but weigh ins  are more and more requiring live weigh ins. (Most Bass boats have live wells. )  If enough aren't "plucked out", the result is stunted fish. Problem I see is that not enough guys report violations that they witness.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep but the so-called "live weigh-ins" aren't truly that. I have personally seen dozens of huge dead bass near a launch after tournaments. The live wells may not be the answer when the boat is pounding waves going 50 plus mph and carrying the fish to the scale in bags doesn't do much for their health either. I agree there are also some pluses regarding the environment, and as with the evening news we do tend to get focused on the negatives but they are important.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LongLine said:

Funny how some want govt vehemently out of their lives and yet so quickly change their tune when things aren't going their way.

Yes, ecosystem is fragile.  Mussels changed things.  Takes years to recover, but recovery is happening.  Areas of Concern are being cleaned up.  Polution laws have gotten stricter. (no thanks to a certain political party) Bass are getting larger.  Alewives seem to be coming back.  Sturgeon are coming back.  Hatcheries are getting more than enough eggs.  Natural Repro is occuring.  Bass tournaments have grown but weigh ins  are more and more requiring live weigh ins. (Most Bass boats have live wells. )  If enough aren't "plucked out", the result is stunted fish. Problem I see is that not enough guys report violations that they witness.    

Alewife are rebounding until we get another long winter again.  We all know how well the alewife did in the two hard winters 10 years ago.  

Hey Rich - 2 questions"

1st:  2 each board, 2 plain dipsies, 1 each rigger, 2 lead, 1 copper.  How'd you run more?  (a kite?) 

2nd: Ever have 12 fish on at a time? 

:smile:

2 minutes ago, LongLine said:

Hey Rich - 2 questions"

1st:  2 each board, 2 plain dipsies, 1 each rigger, 2 lead, 1 copper.  How'd you run more?  (a kite?) 

2nd: Ever have 12 fish on at a time? 

:smile:

I'll run 12 this weekend on my charter. On each side, mind you I'm in a 20' aluminum boat, I'll have 4 in-lines, a diver, and a rigger.

Most we've ever had on at one time was 5, but we've cleared 10 rod spreads before everything was said and done.

Aw , come on Yankee , it's all part of the fun . We're just discussing what lengths some guys will go to catch an animal with a brain the size of a pea. And it's all kind of related . 

And as a republican , I can't wait for more pollution . 

LO rebounding ? It's hanging on by a thread some years . It's a shadow of what it was . Kudos to the fisheries guys . 

And back in the day when I ran 6 rods on 4 riggers we had 6 fish on at once. As I remember , 2 we're good kings . But there were 4 guys on board .  

I'm to the point that I don't know how to respond to some of this . 

• Like 1