Hello fellow fisher people,

my name is Erik. I'm from MI. 

I'm in the process of making plans for a trip over to lake O and hoping you guys might be willing to give me advice. 

I have read lots about the Niagara Bar. Always wanted to go there. I have some time off coming here in 3 weeks in April. 

I'm thinking I would be puting in at the state park by the fort. Probably staying somewhere not too far from there. 

If I was to make the trip over, and the weather was too windy are there other ports you guys might recommend where I might still be able to go out? 

I have an 18ft boat. 

I'm not looking to horn in on anyones secret spots. I dont mind fishing in places where theres lots of other guys fishing. Just wondered if I make the trip over and the wind is bad if I might still be able to find a place to get out? 

I will not be keeping any fish, unless I get a walleye or a big once in a lifetime brown or somethin. Just looking to make an adventure.

Thanks for any advice!

And oh yah, is there any special regs for NY that I should be aware of? 

• Like 1

If conditions are too rough to fish the Bar you can still do well in the river. Unless the water gets too muddy you should still be able to catch fish upstream. Three way swivel, pencil weight to hold bottom with a six foot leader with jigs, emerald shiners or Flatfish. Good luck!

• Like 1

Ditto to what whaler said

If I may Add- you need to wear life jackets until May 1

If the weather cooperates it will be a

zoo out there but the fish will be there. Bring your patience- you can almost guarantee you’ll shake your head at least once at someone doing something beyond stupid

keep watching the reports- next port down

is Wilson - always fish between the river and there somewhere. 
GL

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen!

I've got a green light for the 1st weekend in April. 6th-9th. I'm just waiting see what the weather is going to do. Lodging may be an issue due to people coming to view the eclipse. I may have to camp at the KOA or somewhere.

I been going over the regs and stuff. Slowly getting a better understanding of things. Walleyes and lakers are closed season. Dont plan to keep anything anyway. Although, if theres any spots for catching perch I might be hip on some of that. 

Curious,

I have been running the web cam at the fort on my side screen at work. I have yet to see a boat out there. Granted the water looks pretty rough. Can you usually see boats out there, or does the cam point away from where the boats normally go? 

I’ve never seen the camera so hopefully someone can answer-The weather here has been snow wind and below freezing this week- Can’t imagine anyone left the river 

The bar should have much less boat traffic early April opposed to later April from your first post

GL

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grandpa and The Bear said:

Although, if theres any spots for catching perch I might be hip on some of that.

If you want Perch Lake Erie is the place to be. About 40 minutes from Fort Niagara.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean Youngblood said:

If you want Perch Lake Erie is the place to be. About 40 minutes from Fort Niagara.

Yup, thats not happenin. I drive clear over to lake Ontario I'm fishin there. 

Thanks for the input though :)

Walleye season opens May 1st but they bite the same stuff you drift for trout with and you may catch a giant!

• Like 1

I caught one of my biggest walleyes ever throwing a Little Cleo off the fair haven pier for brown’s and thank God it happened to be on May 1st.  30” and 11lbs.  What a rush with a 11’ noodle rod and 6# test. Only walleye I ever caught while brown fishing but one of my best fishing memories.

• Like 1

You better check on a place to stay now.  Most places up here are already full for the eclipse viewing they are expecting hundred of thousands of tourists. 

• Like 1