30#Ande popping out of release

At down speeds over 2.2 spoon and flasher rigs spooled w/ 30# Ande kept popping out of my Scotty power grips, I had one rig spooled w/ 40# that held fine, tried 2 different new this year releases w/ same results? One thing I am wondering about is I use pancake 13# weights w/ the release clipped to the big tail fin which I am thinking is another problem because I can't imagine that weight can pivot very good once the rigger rod is cranked down. Should I attach the release to the same eye that the cable is attached to? Still doesn't explain why the 30# doesn't stay in @ higher speeds though!

cHOWDER,chowder,chowder, never hook release to back of weight it can steer weight and cause tangling so ive heard. the dia. of 40 lb line causes huge difference in amount of line drag ya gotta get some "blacks"style release for deeper water fishing and flasher pull .now are you using panacake weights or cow chips they look very simular the biggest diff between the 2 is the taste.

I dont know thats its wrong just never done it that way myself and have read here it could help with cable tangles on deep water fishing. I suppose with some of the horror stories posted that it might help keep the pancakes from drifting all over under the boat.Mine was used once with a 3 rigger mess and hasnt been any problem from that day on sitting in the basement..someday ill break it out again and melt it into a fish weight.

Did you adjust the tention on the Scotty release? There is a light and heavy steeing on the back of the Scotty releases.

Gambler, do you run them on that high tension setting? Seems like they might be hard to trip down at 100' if you want to change out?

Chowder, you've fished my boat. I run a 13# pancake on my port boom rigger with a Blacks release or rubber bands in the Blacks. This is because the tail of the pancake is slightly bent to track the ball out to the side. If you attach to the tail, you loose the flying ball advantage.

My center rigger is a 10# pancake which I use with a Scotty Power Grip. This one has a straight fin and I use the Scotty so it will act like a kite tail and keep that ball running straight. The Scotty is attached to the fin. If the tension adjustment doesn't help, try using rubber bands. Rubber bands will stick in the Scotty like glue. Also, if you run them at high tension, don't fully bury the line. Try seating the line to different depths using the high tension setting until you get the right setting. If set on the light side, fleas will pull it free when they accumulate.

My Starboard, probe rigger has a 15 # shark with a Walker Klincher Release. I stqarted using rubber bands in the Walker as well when I'm after browns or expect shakers.

My balls only tangled once when I first ran the port boom pancake but, the bend fixed that and I've not had any difficulties in any situations.

Did you adjust the tention on the Scotty release? There is a light and heavy steeing on the back of the Scotty releases.

Gambler, do you run them on that high tension setting? Seems like they might be hard to trip down at 100' if you want to change out?

Run them on the heavy setting when you are fishing deep of running flashers. Lots of extra drag on the line as you go deep. With fleas building on the line, there is a lot more resistance. Find the sweet spot in the pinch pad. Don't bury the line all the way in the back of the release.

Chowder,

Which Scotty releases are you using?

The Power Grip Plus Release is large and easy to handle with its streamlines shape. Includes a tension adjuster to double the holding power. Line release can be attached to the weight or the cable allowing line stacking.

The Mini-Power Grip Plus Release is a compact version of the Power Grip. Great for walleye, trout, kokanee and Spanish mackerel.

Clarke

I agree w/ WWIV, twist the line before putting it in the release ... and switch to Black's releases. There is a lot of "adjustability" in the tension on the Black's especially handy for Finger Lakes vs. Lake O. fish and spoons vs. flashers.

I put a min. of 7 turns before putting the line in the release. Just my experience and humble opinion ;)