Wiring a GPS to an Autopilot

I've been trying to understand the wiring procedures for a NMEA 2000 connection but haven't found a good diagram or explanation yet. I would like to connect my 7500C globalmap to my autopilot. Do I really need a simnet bar or can I direct connect the GPS. What does it mean by "powering the NMEA system"? Is it really worth the trouble of connecting the GPS and autopilot at all? I am going to use the autopilot mostly for steering the boat when I am fishing alone or while my copilot is netting the fish.

High Bidder

Huntfrisco and others have their Simrad's hooked up to the GPS, I have stayed the heck away from doing it. At this point can't see the advantage in it, pick a heading- AP on and away you go.

It's complicated! What unit GPS & AP do you have. You have to identify the data out on the GPS and data receive on the auto pilot tie them together and the common on each. What makes it complicated is that the language isdifferent on each. I have a Lowrance GPS & a Simrad AP. Mine works fine until the computor on the AP failed.

BTW I'm the old huntfrisco

Sorry about the slow response to your answers but I was away fishing. I have a lowrance 7500c and a Simrad 2401 VRF. The Simrad is still in a box in my garage waiting to be installed this week. After reading your replys and considering that I am not a electronics guru I will probably forget about the GPS and AP connection. It will probably take me long enough to learn the full capabilities of the AP as it is. I want to thank everyone for their replys.

High Bidder

I find interfacing the gps to the autopilot very useful. The ap will hold a much better course when steering to a waypoint I have a lot of stucture in the area that I fish and run between points on the plotter most of the time. I makes it easy to pick a spot or a depth on the plotter and hit one button and walk away from the wheel. I also have it tied into the radar which also has many advantages.

It is only two wires! well worth it in my opinion.

If the 2401 NMEA wiring is the same as the SIMRAD AP14R, it uses only two wires ; red NMEA + and blue NMEA -. I'm currently finishing up my AP14R install which I linked the AP to the Lowrance HDS-8. You can download the instructions off the web for your units. I will be testing the system this weekend. I also have a NMEA capable VHS that I need to wire in the system as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the first phase of my autopilot installation. Which means it is operating but not conected to the GPS yet. I used a MSD50 drive which mounts on the power assist unit of the stern drive. It eliminates all the play in the steering cable(I have a 93 boat) and gives a quicker response. Last week in 3-4 ft. waves it held course great. I was impressed. I was not impressed however at the cost of connecting a AP24 to the GPS. The least expensive way is to buy a simnet cable and a lowrance cable and splice them together. Luckily I found a website that explains the lowrance wire colors. Neither Simrad or Lowrance service techs were of much use. All they did was read from the manual and tell me to buy adapters that they didn't even make. If you see me zigzagging through the Trench the last two weeks of August you'll know I got the GPS wired.

High Bidder

Sean,

The AP14R and the HDS8 work well together, 2 wires and your good to go. I haven't done multiple waypoints yet, but being able to select your waypoint and press nav, then sit back and have the boat take you there is really a nice feature when your getting your gear ready on the trip out. I fished solo last week and other then no one to net, it was great.

You can get the wire coloring for the HDS units off the Lowrance site. The AP uses the Red and Blue. If you can't find the information let me know, I'll look my setup as I don't remember the HDS colors.

John

• 1 month later...

do you guys think the new hummingbird 1157 or 1197 is compatible with an autopilot system?

owners of the 1157 or 1197, do you find having the cannon link a benifit to your style of fishing. can you adjust on the fly your riggers. currently we run back and forth from helm to rigger when spotting fish up top or down low. and insight to the new hummingbird units will be appreciated.

thanks,

steven