rare sighting

kingslamon22

wife stayed home today and releived me of my duties as daddy day care and i grabbed my mini-14 for some predator calling. set up in corner of secluded scrub field way off beeten path, started calling with grey squirrel distress calls. after first 2 minute session i saw what appeared to be a hawk prowling the sky, i was quiet and motionless, watching to see if the hawk heard the call or what, it did. the bird was enourmous and i knew it wasnt a hawk as it started to scope my setup. the bird deemed the coast cleer and landed 30 yds from my feet staring exactly into my eyes. ther was no question it was a bald eagle. it was the about the same size as a full grown turkey and it did not move. it was waiting to see some movement from the distressed squirrel. we stared each other down without movement for a solid 4-5 mins then the eagle felt neccesary to vacate. this happend at about 12:30 in town of lakeport on south shore of oneida lake. no predators responded but the eagle was much more exciting and i never thought that would happen. i seriusly hope somebody believes me becasue i couldnt get my camera phone out without being made by the smart and keen eagle. they are truly huge and wingspan was about that of a great blue heron. wow my hair is standing up again thinking about it. they come to predator calls...wow

Dear KS22,

Congrats on calling in a Bald Eagle! They are a magnificent bird and a mature 3 year old (with the white head) is a large bird. Saw one on Lake Road in Pultneyville, NY last winter... Wingspan was awesum!! The restocking of these birds in Montezuma Federal Wildlife Refuge has been very successfull. They also migrate along the south shore of Lake Ontario in the spring.

Respectfully submitted, Jet Boat Bill

Had one land on the peak of the barn roof in December. I had just pulled into the driveway & my spotting scope was lying on the passenger seat. Spent about 5 minutes watching it before it split- AMAZING BIRD!

Good story ............. we had one (inmature) pick up a small LL we put back last September just north of Lodi Point one shot and he/she had it...........then when I got back home down here in Pa. I saw a pair of them got a buch of pictures of them. I'll post a few.............here is the link where I posted it on the NAFC bb.......

http://www.fishingclub.com/community/forums.aspx?g=posts&t=156562

There is a nesting pair very close to Rochester.Their eerie is just south of Empire Boulevard just on the east side of Irondequoit Creek near Ibay.

They often cross Empire Boulevard with a fish in their claws.