Marine Batteries

Reel Doc

The 23 ' 2002 Wellcraft walkaround we bought last summer came with its 2 original batteries and I noticed by Fall at 50 degree temps they were struggling to get the outboard started. Is there a specific type/brand of battery that seems best suited to power a boat with an outboard? What kind of battery life is typical?

Thanks,

Greg

I have a rig with an outboard that I run all winter on the Niagara. Most of us have no problem starting the motors in as cold as 0 degree mornings. Hank could probably offer some advice on here, but the battery is probably getting tired or there is some corrosion robbing starting power. Many manufacturers make dual purpose batteries that will give you up to 4yrs of service.

Always a good play to keep your batteries on an automatic charger, especially during colder months.

I had 3 Optima's in my 3 boat, 2 of them took a crap in less than 2 years (have a feeling the 3rd is going to be bad when I go fishing first time this spring!) . I'm replacing them with Sears Platnium Series. Same money (260.00) and they are a much better better, alot of my friends have been running them for along time and none of them have roached one yet. The Optima's warranty isn't worth a darn either. The Platnium's have 3 year free replacement I got nothing on my Optima's. They were 18 month I believe, one went after 20 and another after 23 months. We are using them for trolling motor batteries often discharging and charging them 3-5 times per year. So far the Platniums are performing WAY better than Optima's, they last longer as well on a single charge. Just looking at numbers on paper they are a better better and the warranty says it all as well, more than double what Optima provides.

If you go to the Interstate Battery store in Henrietta/Rochester,next to the Wallmart super center you will be able to buy "blemished" interstate batteries. These are new batteries with external blemishes which in no way interfere with their performance. Deep cycle,marine,cars,they've got them,all with the regular interstate warranty.

I bought some marine batteries there for $35 a piece.That is half the price of the garbage that you can buy at Wallmart and they last 4 times as long.

Before you go, give them a call to make sure that they have what you need in stock.

This is definitely worth a trip to Henrietta.

The address is :391 Clay road,Rochester,NY 14623. Phone 585-359-3155

good luck.

Do not use a car battery. The pounding the battery takes will destroy the plates. When your boat does not start, do not take the battery out of your car or at the end of the day you will have a car that does not start also.

The voltage regulator on many outboards can overcharge your batterys, so check the acid levels at least monthly during the boating season and maintain the level with DISTILLED WATER only. Tap water and lake water has dissolved minerals and they upset the acid balance.

Get the biggest battery you can afford due to all the electronics we seem to need.

I'm running a 220 Evinrude outboard and a 9.9 kicker to troll. It came with 2 batteries in tandem. When you say get the biggest battery, is it better for one big one or 2 in tandem? The 2 were weak last Fall but not dead and I've been alternatively charging them this winter. Keep 1 in tandem with a new one, or scrap them both? They are dated 2002 so they were the original boat batteries.

Finally, if I'm trolling with the 9.9 most of the day is it enough to recharge the battery, or is good battery charging only happening when the big outboard is working.

Thanks,

Greg

I have similar power on my boat, 200 Johnson, 9.9 Yamaha 4stroke. The way I have my batteries set-up are through a battery switch and either engine will charge the battery that is selected on the switch. (I use one or the other battery ,seldom both). It is best to turn off your battery switch off when not in use, I also have my downriggers and electronics fuse panel on the switch.

Another good investment is a battery moniter. I have one from Cabelas mounted on the helm and can check the batteries with the flick of a switch. I am running Optima gel batteries (4years old) no maintainence so far, had them load tested last fall and they are still at 85%. I understand some have had problems with Optima when used for electric trolling motors.

Advance auto will check a battery's condition for free. I have had problems before due to corrosion and suspected the battery. Keep everything clean and have them tested before buying new.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg, get a Perko battery switch and then get 2 new batteries from whoever you want to install the switch, those batteries you got are "picked". I feel like I can say a couple words about batteries in general b/c I've got like 10 tractors and a bunch of other trucks and equipment w/ batteries, so here I go; 1st -a lot of these batteries are made by the same company and they switch things around all the time. 2cd -every starter/alt package is going to charge/use a battery differently so the same battery will have a very different life from one setup to another. 3. Battery quality control in general is poor and highly variable, it's best to just replace them when they perform questionably after they are much over 4 years old and then again you will have one that seems to go forever. There, I'm done!

Most of the current fish finders & GPS's have the ability to display system voltage. I have this feature turned on, on mine so I can always see the battery(s) condition. I have three batteries in my boat.

This a lot cheaper then adding a battery condition monitor, & they are almost always on anyways.

One less draw on the system W/O the battery condition monitor.

IMHO :)

There are two types of " Perko" style battery switches. One directly connects batterys to your systems and another has a double switch that disconnects your alternator before opening the battery circuits. If your engine is running and you open the battery switch, the alternator senses no voltage and cranks out a lot of amps ultimately blowing the diodes in your alternator. Just one mistake can cost you big bucks.

Jim,

The boat does have a Perko switch in the battery compartment. I was told when running to have it set to both batteries, but from comments here wonder if the dealer knew the batteries were on their last legs.

The original batteries are Interstate marine/RV cranking batteries. Must be a hybrid as I used to use straight marine deep cycle to charge the portable fencer so the sheep stayed home. Any other thoughts on battery type are appreciated.

Greg

Greg,

AGM batteries are ideal for us fishermen. You won't kill them by forgetting to charge right away. I use the Sears Platinum - made by Odyssey. Expensive, but they last much longer. Surprisingly heavy for their size 'cause its all lead. If your trolling engine can't keep up with charging, a bigger battery will keep you going until you can recharge. I don't know how true it is but I've been told that an undersized/weak battery is also tough on your engine electronics.

Bill

i run interstates marine/deep cycle, also, what motor do you have, te gentleman who shares a dock with me at the marina has a 150hp mercury, and it will only start on 100% battery power. if there is so mch an drop in juice it will not fire. He keeps solar chargers on the boat at all times

I have had the unfortunate experience of having a dead battery out on the lake. Not a fun experience. Will always have 2 batteries and a switch. Usually run one battery one day fishing and the other the next. Just alternate from one to the other so that the batteries stay charged and last. That way, if something happens to my alternator or something, both batteries won't be dead. When one goes dead on you out on the lake, you can just switch batteries and be good to get back to dock. :yes::)

The followup on the batteries....had them tested at Advanced Auto Parts, both confirmed dead. Since they had lasted 8 years under someone else's care I thought I would stick with the Interstates. The tip to go to the warehouse store in Rochester is a good one. :yes: They priced out nearly $30 per battery less than buying them locally. As always, appreciate all the tips.

Greg