Pro-Am Observer Question...

Ok, my team is looking to whack 'n stack some huge kings during the Sodus Pro-Am this year and being our first time, I was wondering exactly how the observer position works on the boats from the money stand point. I know what their job is, and I know we provide an observer that will be put into a draw and placed on another boat, but I've heard that they make $100 - is this paid by us to our observer, or to the observer we have on our boat? And do the boats tip their observers if they do a great job? I just want to make sure we understand how it all works before it's gametime and so we don't jip our observer! 8)

Thanks in advance for any info fellas!

The $100 is paid by the team that provides the observer.

The team that draws your observer usually pays the observer between four and five hundred dollars to make sure that things go smooth 8)8)8)8)8)

The team that draws your observer usually pays the observer between four and five hundred dollars to make sure that things go smooth.

:P:P:P:P

LOL Well put Conelis.

Tim we pay our observer. The observer you supply works for your team and the observer that is on your boat works for the other team and is paid by them. As far as tipping goes if we take a first place finish the team gets together and agrees on an amount to tip the observer from our team. Don't know how the other teams handle the tipping part but I hope they are not tipping the other teams observer. :rofl:

Glen

The team that draws your observer usually pays the observer between four and five hundred dollars to make sure that things go smooth 8)8)8)8)8)

Wait a minute Rolmops!! Doesn't the teams with the most expensive boats have to pay the observer themselves, and the teams with the smaller boats on a budget get theirs paid for by the tournament committee?? :lol::lol: Sorry, couldn't resist :beer:

Tim,

There is no set amount of money that an observer has to make. If you can find someone who wants to learn or just a really bored person, they may not want any money. Its just usually a way to convince someone to be an observer. woody loves being a non paid observer.

Hey Jeff I appreciate you helping me out buddy.... I will remember that in Sodus this year when I feed you one to many adult beverages before day 1....... You won't have nice Observer that will be your alarm clock like 5 years ago out of Sodus then help you boat a couple Kings when you had a Electronics Malfunction, leave some special spoons for you on your boat to help you out a little.... HMMMMM..... I thought maybe you forgot about that nice guy that helped you out, Oh well.......hahaha.... Dale

Timmy we need to get a Observer we can pay in BEER...... Maybe we can get Ray to do it.... i will even throw in a free Shave down for his buffiness......

Yes we usually offer $50/day = $100 total for an observer. We also offer them the chance to prefish with us. We do things a bit different if we place though... although we've only done two pro-ams so it's only happened once :rofl: We gave the extra trophy to the observer that was on OUR boat. I guess we felt they were as much a part of the experience as we were.

You'll learn though how valuable a good observer is the first time your observer is an hour late forcing your team and the team she's supposed to go with to sit at the dock while other teams begin to fish. Not only the time lost, but the way it screws your mental game will make that $100 seem like $ well spent on a good observer.

Oh and in terms of sharing information.... some teams have their observers give them the scoop on what the boat they went with used, their locations, etc. Personally, I don't like to do that... just feel it puts them in an uncomfortable situation. Of course if they start blabbing I don't close my ears either :rofl:

Nick

Ok, now I think I have a pretty good handle on the observer deal.

Also, just as an FYI for everyone, if you are registered in the Pay Every Day Derby (PEDD), the observer does not count and does not have to be registered in the derby for you to enter a fish. 8)

Ok, another question for those of you who have fished the Pro-Ams: Let's say it's close to quitting time and you land a monster shark. Can you weigh this in for the LOC prior to submitting your cooler for the Pro-Am or does it have to be after the Pro-Am weigh-in or is it the same weigh-in usually and doesn't matter? Also, is it ok to run a fish in to be weighed for the LOC, then return to the lake to fish some more before returning for the Pro-Am weigh-in? I just want to make sure we don't do something that will get us DQ'ed first time out!! :$

Ok, now I think I have a pretty good handle on the observer deal.

Also, just as an FYI for everyone, if you are registered in the Pay Every Day Derby (PEDD), the observer does not count and does not have to be registered in the derby for you to enter a fish. 8)

Ok, another question for those of you who have fished the Pro-Ams: Let's say it's close to quitting time and you land a monster shark. Can you weigh this in for the LOC prior to submitting your cooler for the Pro-Am or does it have to be after the Pro-Am weigh-in or is it the same weigh-in usually and doesn't matter? Also, is it ok to run a fish in to be weighed for the LOC, then return to the lake to fish some more before returning for the Pro-Am weigh-in? I just want to make sure we don't do something that will get us DQ'ed first time out!! :$

Hi Tim,

When fishing a ProAm the cooler is considered sealed at the end of the fishing day (1PM for Ams and 2PM for Pros). The Observer stays with the cooler to make sure it is not opened or taken anywhere other than the weigh station. After your fish are weighed for the day in the ProAm and the cooler is released you can do whatever you want with your fish--including weighing them for the LOC.

Ok, but what about when we put the 42lb king in the boat at 8am? :P Can we run that in to register it in the LOC or would we have to leave it in the cooler until after the Pro-Am weigh in?

Also, I was wondering what the general payout breakdown is for the Pro and Am sides of the tourney. I know it is somewhat determined by the number of teams entered, but in general, what are the amounts, and how many places are awarded? Also, is the deadline for Sodus next Friday?

Thanks again for all the info! I am really getting psyched up for this king slayin' mayhem!! :clap:

Tim,

Keep this in mind. The pro/am is about points, like the old saying in golf.....Drive for SHOW.....Put for Dough

Do not target just Kings. If you get lucky and boat 3 Kings at 20#'s each = 90 points.....Now fill your box with a mix of salmon and trout that may have an average weight of 6 - 7 pounds = 150 points.

As far as the prize, all depends on entries period. If you get lucky and get your 42# King you will have to waite until you box is released by the pro/am committee or you will get Disqualified.

Good Luck..

Shade

if you get an observer that you don't know i would pay them after the pro/am is over.

Yes, just like getting your paycheck at the end of the week from a boss who don't know you.... :) And they should get combat pay for tuffing out some of the conditions both weather wise and otherwise.

I don't observe to make money, but would like at least enough to cover any expense I might have to get up there. That would include if I have to pay for sleeping arrangements. The experience gained is certainly worth looking to break even. Just so you know I have yet to run in the black on the money end of it.

Hmm 42lb king possable 1 st place in summer loc 12,000.00 derby or 1 st place in AM division IF you box out both days =maybe 1500.00. I think id be calling tournment control and offering my DQ for the day.. then go back out and enjoy a day of fishing.

Ray - Yeah, if a 40+ lb king comes over our stern, that will be a tough decision!! Especially when that fish limits us out for the day!! :P

Shadster - Understandably we'll be covering the whole spread and boxing steelies if we can. If fishing is like this past weekend, boxing out might not be an issue, it will be finding the bigger fish! But by the time the Pro-Am rolls around, there should be plenty of big fish around to target!! :clap:

Thanks again for all the input fellas! 8)

Once you enter the pier heads, you're done for the pro-am and can't go back out. We ran into this situation two years ago at the Sodus pro-am. We had a second place brown in the box. The LOC I think ended at noon or 1, and the pro-am was at two. We called tournament control to ask that very question and decided to wait as long as we could, then ran in the fish and had it weighed in at LOC before they closed. We couldn't go back out, but it netted us second in browns and big brown for the tourney for $600 total. That was the better option for us. Keep the phone numbers for the LOC and tourney control handy. Rules can change. If it happened again to us, I'd still call and ask again from the water. The other situation that happened to us was last year at Sodus when the lake got snotty, we wanted to go into the bay and wait to see if things calmed down a little then go back out, we again called tourney control. They said once we were in the pier heads, we were done for the day, so keep that in mind too.

The short answer: YES

From the LOC Derby rules

6) Agrees that all persons aboard the same boat (private or charter) must be registered in the Derby, including captain and mate. In the event that there are any persons on board the boat who are not registered (whether they are fishing or not), all fish caught during that particular outing may not be offered or considered for any prizes. A supporting affidavit may be required by all registered contestants aboard the same boat, affirming the integrity of the catch and also that no unregistered person was aboard the boat.

In the past, during the tournament only, the observer was not required to pay to enter the LOC but was considered registered. I can't remember how they worded it, but in essence, you could enter fish in the LOC without your observer paying to get in the LOC. They'll mention it at the captain's meeting.

Pat