Captains License

It used to be that you had to know something...............

Now it is just like a college education all you need is a warm body and enough money to pay for the course.

Booo. :no: I studied my ass off and went to class every weekend for 10 hours for a month. I learned a lot!

Also boooo :no: I have 7 years of college and studied my ass off to get good grades and have a great decent paying job. :punch:

That remark is uncalled for. Especially with the number of captains on this board.

You sir, are a buffoon.

RR

I agree w/ RR. Sit through Capt Daniels Class from sea tech and you'll see just how easy it is not. I thought I handle a pretty good handle on things till I took this class and realized just how much I didn't know. Now you are probably the guy I curse at for not knowing the "rules of the road" or the guy who gets his name in the paper for spending our tax dollars while someone rescues you due to a bone head move!

Mower

Sorry if I offended anyone, I guess I should have said:

Pay your money -- Take the course -- get your license

............... and you can get discount coupons!!!

The experience is where I diverge from others. I spent 2 summers (75-100 charters a summer) as first mate with experienced captains (2nd and 3rd issue at the time) to get my sea service, that was in addition to having my own boat prior to that and fishing 4 days a week from April to October since 1980. I put my time in, much like an apprentice, and learned the trade, I reviewed the rules of the road and walked in to the USCG office in Toledo and passed the test my first time based on my knowledge from experience. That was a long time ago .

Rusty, how would you like it if some guy walked into your place of employment and wanted your job just because he studied for a couple of weekends and passed some test after you put in 7 years of work? ...............Just because the rules changed and traveling schools teach to and give the test to pass out your same credential for a check, a wink at your "experience" and 30 hours of book "instruction".

Perhaps my point will be missed

Please learn the business, then take the test

Heck, I remember captains starting a/the professional captains union -- we called them PUCs -- because he didn't like part time captains. They used thuggery and turned me into the CG for having an undocumented vessel & other "saftey" concerns, I welcomed the CG aboard and they gave me a sticker for my windshield and thanked me for minding my own business and running a safe operation!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mower,

Brother, If you ever need a tow give me a call chances are I'll be out there. Got a fast seaworthy boat and can be there quick in an emergency -- if its not an emergency you may have to float around till 1:30. As a professional you know what I'm saying!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm waiting for Ray to chime in so I can use my plumbing analogy.

Mako,

I would recommend first mating before getting your captains license. After seeing how hard you have to work to survive in this business, you may change your mind. These captains work their butts off to put fish in the boat for thier clients in the most diverse conditions. I tip my hat to charter captains. They work really hard for the buck they bring home.

I have no desire to charter just want to make sure that I know the rules of the road and am certified to pilot my small vessel. I won't pose as a captain nor use that title. I just want the knowledge and seamanship. I wouldn't want a Charter Captain's job those guys work way hard for their money. I do love to fish. One thing I have learned about myself is that if I try to turn something I am that passionate about into a profession then I am no longer able to enjoy it. I still like to have the rod in my hands and land fish.

I thought it was worthwhile and kinda mushy at the same time. I did learn a lot (rivers downstream no power, right of way over upsteam with power....ie, jiggers have right of way over trollers..). The mapping exercise was tough, but worth knowing.

Self censored,

I got my license, thats it. I do not have a charter business as of yet and when i do start it up it will be on the Finger Lakes where I have 20 + years of trolling, bank, casting experience for all species. Thank you very much. I have put in my time.

7 years of intense biochemistry study does not equate to a few weekends of courses. It aint gonna happen.

Nice try though.

RR

Not sure how it is on the great lakes but on the coast there are a lot of Charter boat Captains that are not fishermen. And many of them offer fishing charters. So research any Captain that you plan on hiring. This is not to say these guys are not good Captains, just not good fishermen. I know one I would trust to drive me anywhere in his boat, but I wouldn't want him to take me fishing. I think you get the point.

Also in addition to passing the CG test you are required to have a substantial amount of time on the water. I think we all know that is much more important than any test you can take.

It's not a fishing business license it is a Captains License which basically states you are capable of handling a vessel for hire, nothing more.

CaptSpike

(yes I am a Captain, lol)

Many others get there license for other reasons as well; there is a use for a Captains license outside of chartering

I have my masters license; 100 G.T, Towing and currently working on offshore and sail.

I crew on Offshore Atlantic sail Crossings when I find someone looking.

Just recently did a 850 nm trip from Puerto Rico to Bahamas aboard a 44' sailboat; 10 days offshore, sailing 24 hours

Currently hoping to get on a trip from Sodus Bay --> Bermuda -->> Canary Islands --> Iceland :yes:

R-rat,

I am glad you got my point -- you just can't do in a couple of weekends that which takes years of study or experience to aquire.

Keep at it -- some day you will make a fine finger lake captain, and with 7 years of study in biochem you will know that you are not a bufoon!!! ;)

Capt. Spike,

It is the exact opposite here on LO.

Capt. Todd,

You the man, Im in envy -- hope you get the long cruise/sail!