Small boat suggestions?

I'm looking for a little help from you guys. I have a small 16 ft Starcraft with a Merc. 60hp Bigfoot four stroke. I almost never use this boat cause it's not a fishing boat, so i'm thinking about making some alterations.

I figure I will rig it and use it on the finger lakes, but I'm thinking I might be able to use it at the bar as well on calm days. I will have the SeaRay on the east end, so I was thinking about leaving this one on the west end so I'd have a boat on each end of the lake.

For referance purposes, here's what I'm working with:

lilboat.jpg

It's a pretty small 16 footer. I've been in 16's that felt a whole lot bigger than this boat does. Then again, I've had it 5 miles offshore on the ocean already. Do ya think there are enough of those 2ft or less days on the west end of the lake to make it worth rigging it and leaving it out there? It just sits in my driveway..what do I have to loose?

My other question would be rigging ideas. I'm pulling the seats out and putting pedistal seats in it. That will free up a little space in the back, but I have NO storage space in this thing. Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Rod,

I had a old bayliner with a walk through and we removed the front seats and put plywood even with the bow and used that for storage. This boat here is a two man fishing boat so you can only run 4 rods (6 if law gets passed) The bow is perfect for installing a mast for boards. Put one rod holder close to the winshield for the boards. You have room for 2 riggers and one rod holder on each side for your flat line. Thats my $.02.

Good Luck,

Howie

Good boat. My dad has a very similar but older boat. Most of his tackle sits in the bow. Really is no better place for it. He has 2 hand crank downriggers that I am trying to get him to replace with electric downriggers. :rofl: Anyways if it was my boat. I would put 2 down riggers exactly where you have the dual rod holders at. I would move the dual rod holders half way between the windshield and where there at now. Dual plannerboard mast mounted in the bow or singles behind the windshied. Electronics are still a big must. Good fish finder with GPS. I would put what ever you prefer depth raider, fish hawk or what ever. VHF radio would be nice too. Pretty much the same set up as you big boat just on a smaller package but much cheaper to run. :rofl: I would def replace the seats and go with pedistal seats. That will free up a lot for room. You probably could get decent money for them. ;) Only too problems with these smaller boats. Weather is always a factor and room to house more guys. 2 people fit in this boat just fine but you can only run the 4 rod setup. 3 people gets a little crowed but doable.

I have taken dads boat out in some rough fingerlakes water and it does fine! The great thing about fingerlakes is that there always is a fishable spot. west wind you stay on the west sure. South wind stay on the south end. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. Rob

Really Chad...I thought it was only windy at that end on tournament days :) I only get out west early in the season,

just seems like I remember a lot more calm days on that end than we get in the east part of the lake....selective memory maybe?

Thanks for the ideas guys It's like a dingy for your new boat Howie. Any more thoughts? I'll find a good use for this boat yet!

It's taken me 4 years to get the wifey to allow me to semi rig it for fishing, so I gotta do it before she has a chance to change her mind.

I made the mistake of telling her It was "her" boat when I bought it :@

I'm gonna put tracks on it and two electric riggers. I have a Humminbird 385ci combo and even that doesn't fit on the damn dash, so I have it mounted off to the side of the dash. I will put down temp on, just don't know where the head is gonna go?

Definitly a two man rig...unless I get me a girlfriend :lol: Which is fine, I have my other boat plus my buddies boats when I wanna get serious.

That boat you had was a much better setup than I have to work with Bob. I have a full enclosure, but standing up ain't happening so it's kinda useless except for joy riding. Would you suggest the risers for the riggers?

BTW...In the pic I posted, ya notice it's kinda high in the front? Look at the bow...it's stuck on the dock cause some dumbazz (me :$ ) forgot to take the tide into account when I tied it up and tied it to tight :rofl::rofl:

Put an electric motor on the front, a planer mast, two big jon three-rod holder pedestal mounted mid-ship, two corner downriggers. I love spending other people's money :D . Your boys would love chasing smallmouth off Erie, walleyes in Oneida, fingerlakes trolling, drifting for steelhead in the Niagara, shoreline brown trolling, Canadian trips, St. Lawrence River pike......lots o'opportunities. 8)

Fishtails,I'd go with the extended rigger mounts, something to lean on in ruff water setting lines, two rod holders on both riggers. Also three holders on each side, never enough room for rods on a small boat, two for dipsies, four off the boards ,two off the weights, two stacked dipsies. That's 10 lines down :yes: .Put the board mast pole in the bow seat mount base. I'm thinking you'll need auto pilot.You don't have to drop 10 just because I would. :devil: .

Hey the electric bow mount is a good touch. I'd like about a three-five on the back. :clap::clap: .

Rod, yes, I'd go with the pedestal bases. I mounted mine with 1/4" aluminum plate underneath. My bimini was set up on rails to slide more toward the front to give me more room in the back. Looks like yours could give ya extra room by folding it on top of the windshield when not in use. Rod room for playing a fish would be hard the way yours extends so far to the rear.

I was wondering why your bow was so high just sitting there. :rofl::clap::lol:

Rod

i had a 16' Crestliner that was very similar but did have pedestal seats . I mounted 2' tracks on each back corner and added 2 cannon mini mags and a couple of rod holders. Like others have mentioned i also had a tote pole that mounted in the bow seat mount. I also had a set of gunnel mounted outriggers for it . For storage I fastened a couple of cheap 3 tube rod holders to the front of the consoles ( one on each side) , had a 18 gal rubbermaid tote shocked way up in the front and had enough room for some smaller totes shocked under each console. The top was always a pita on that boat and i eventually just took it off . The boat was kept on Cayuga lake but made a number of trips to lake O in the spring and it caught a few fish in its day.

Little aluminum boats like that are great - they are easy to tow and launch and are a great solution for fishing when you are alone or just have one other person. They can be used for trout/salmon, bass, perch, whatever

I have the 17 Starcraft Superfisherman-you need to pick your days on the big lake. I bought tracks for my riggers-2 Big Jon Electrics-also have the Minn Kota electric up front. It is a comfortable two person boat on good days-3 becomes a crowd. By the way have used it on Lake Erie the past two years-and we get the big waves.

Thanks for all the good rigging suggestions guys. I'm pulling it in the garage this weekend :yes:

I have the 17 Starcraft Superfisherman-you need to pick your days on the big lake

Exactly MCF. I fish lake Ontario all the time, probably upwards of 60 plus days a season, which is pretty much for a PA boy.

My 24 does great and I know what this 16 can handle, just not sure how many of those days we get a year on the

west end of the lake from Pt. Breeze to the bar. That was my question. I'm only there May & early June.

I'm not suicidal...It's a fast boat and I can get her in port quick if the weather turns. I'm just trying to figure out

the best area to park it for the summer so I can get some use out of it, since I am usually up on Ontario anyway. Sounds like I can just park it at Jeff's house :)

Rod...there are MORE THAN ENOUGH days for you to get LUCKY ENOUGH to have calm water in the West end of the lake. :lol: It ain't Oswego! MOST of the time we are fishing waves less than 3 feet and more often than not they are 2 ft. or less.

That's a perfect Lower Niagara to the Oak boat and would be a great tournament "scout boat". Rig it up and quit being a wuss! :inlove:

Thanks Paul...that's what I was after. You'll be seeing me toot around in my little girly boat at the oak this year Paul ;) Be nice or I'll saw ya off once or twice and then moon your clients. The little boat big boat rule is only in effect when you can catch the little boat :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you at St. Catherines bud...won't be long!! Hope you finish second again :P

Good Times!!

traxstech all way round quick to install - rugged - and it can set that boat up any way you want.....gimbal rigger mount, raised tracks (trolling bar), etc. especially with their bird trees you can run a 6 inch track mid way and run 6 to 8 rods off them

and they double as storage when running

top quality equipment

they also have purchased Vector and put some finishing touches on their equipment -

the new rod holders with teeth are awesome! Great dipsy rod holders free float as well as 360 rotation and angle any direction

Plus a couple tracks on the big boat and you can transport your gear east to west very easily

I made the mistake of telling her It was "her" boat when I bought it

You told me it was her boat, too! :lol:

muskybob has it right with getting those riggers up high. It will be a lot easier on your back, Rod. I use a trolling board that puts them higher. Here are a couple pics of the back of my little water/big water boat.

022.jpg

023.jpg

Hey Mike...been awhile! Almost time for the shad run dude! I am getting the little boat ready and I'll be on the river this month. Give me a call and I'll join ya one day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Thanks Paul...that's what I was after. You'll be seeing me toot around in my little girly boat at the oak this year Paul ;) Be nice or I'll saw ya off once or twice and then moon your clients. The little boat big boat rule is only in effect when you can catch the little boat :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you at St. Catherines bud...won't be long!! Hope you finish second again :P

Good Times!!

I wonder how that "girly boat" and your AZZ would look after I peppered them both with Chartreuse paint balls at 350 fps?

BTW.....I'd be happy with second places for the rest of my tournament career. No shame in being a bride's maid. ;)

I agree with mcf. I live on Lake Ontario, and I too have a Superfisherman all rigged. The only problem is the lake changes QUICK and we have to get in fast! I have a 2 Stroke 75 hp on mine and it could use some more horses! I don't like trailering, so I have my Pennyan docked at a marina at the oak. and dock the Starcraft at home. I equiped mine with two Cannons, a fishfinder,planer board set - up,(by the way, the in-line boards work better with the smaller boat, and a fishawk, along with a marine radio!!!!Try to retain the seats and work around them the best you can. Be safe and have fun! No fish is worth a life. Steve.................

Hey Mike...been awhile! Almost time for the shad run dude! I am getting the little boat ready and I'll be on the river this month. Give me a call and I'll join ya one day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I'll do that, Rod. They are in the river with a few being caught. Water is up and the temps are in the mid 40's. I will be shaking down the boat shortly. All the runoff has it high and cold.

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to finishing up my little boat for trolling. Thanks for all the rigging ideas...As you can see I put some of them to use :yes: We'll have her on Cayuga Sunday for the LOU-ALL . Thought I'd post some pics, maybe it will give someone else an idea on rigging their smaller boat. I still have two rod holders to mount yet behind the riggers, but other than that I think I'm done. I decided not to bother with the planer board mast for now, as I use in-line boards more than not anyway. I think the otter boats would just be in the way.

jen_boat_7.jpg

jen_boat_3.jpg

jen_boat_2.jpg

jen_boat_5.jpg

jen_boat_6.jpg

jen_boat_1.jpg