best reel for kings?

Just wondering what you guys think are the best reels for kings (affordable). We ran the older great lakes lc47's because that's what came with my boat and they work great for walleye, but the kings took me to school last year (8 or 9 break offs with dipsy/spinny/fly). Just ordered the smooth drags for them but really want to add a couple "better" reels to my collection.

Bought a couple of okuma magdas last summer when the daiwas gave me trouble and they seem o.k. but chinsy, sound like they wannna fly apart when the drag is screaming. Also picked up 2 convectors over the winter which feel alot better for the price difference (had 1 good run on wire this spring which sounded much better and the drag seemed alot smoother) 1st good fish on wire which we also just added to the arsenal.

Looking to add 2 more reels and wanted to get some opinions before spending any more money. Not looking to spend alot, but considering the $200/$300 of lost tackle from last year I guess around $100 or so/reel is reasonable.

Thanks so much for all the great advice gathered from this site. You guys have brought me light years from where I started a couple of years ago. I look forward to this season and hopefully can improve on my landing ratio with a couple of better reels.

I have been doing alot of research on reels my self. what i found is that the Diawa sealine seems to be a very well built trolling reel. Also Okuma has come out with a new trolling reel called the clarion, which has a multi disc drag system which is very smoot and reliable. These reel both go for around 139 at Cabelas. The clarion gets my vote.

Hope this helps.

The sealine is a great choice. You don't know how they were cared for when you got them since they weren't new, so you really cant blame the reel. They have been a staple on the Great Lakes for many years.

Just finished upgrading/replacing the drags in my daiwa 47's and the old drag washers were shot. Hopefully a little love is all the reels needed. The smooth drags seem to be just that SMOOTH. Two of the old washers were actually cracked.

Have to chalk lost tackle up to ignorance - never really had to do any maintenance on drags before playing with kings.

Thanks Yankee for the advice - obviously the reels were not taken care of. The previous owner used them occasionally for walleye, but they were always on the boat and in the sun with the drags set - not backed off.

Hopefully I can take better care of them from here on out.

I used Ambassador 7000's for years then I got a couple of Islander Mooching reels, an MR2 & an MR3. After using them I wouldn't care if I ever used a level wind again. No they're not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Mooching reels are direct drive, & as such have no gear ratio to help with a charging salmon, further, your knuckles get wacked when you try to adjust the drag when a big King is running. Not my idea of a desirable situation anytime, anywhere.

To each their own, but no mooching for me!!!

If you are talking about downrigger reels, you really can't do better than the Shimano Triton TR200G. Basically it is the Charter Special with a star drag instead of the lever drag on the CS (for almost half the price). Drags are absolutely butter smooth and at $69.00, by far the best bang for your buck out there for rigger reels.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shimano1 ... l+Products

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/s ... x?a=329040

Tim