NYPA pulls plug on Offshore windfarms

momay4000

Just in case this sounds too good to be true here is the link from The New York Power Authority

http://www.nypa.gov/Press/2011/110927b.html

NY Power Authority Trustees Vote to End Proposed Great Lakes Offshore Wind Project

September 27, 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WHITE PLAINS—The New York Power Authority (NYPA) Board of Trustees on Tuesday voted to end the competitive solicitation process for the proposed Great Lakes Offshore Wind Project (GLOW), without awarding a contract for project development.

The estimated annual cost of GLOW and the current economic conditions were the reasons for the Trustees’ action. Evaluation of the proposed project’s economics determined that it would not be fiscally prudent for the Power Authority to commit to the initiative.

What a great piece of news. Of course, they shot it down for financial reasons only and really still don't give a damn what any of us little people think. I too want to thank everyone who voiced their opposition to this plan and worked so hard against it. Well Done!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my favorite line from the press release...

"Since the inception of its energy-services programs in the late 1980s, NYPA has financed approximately $1.44 billion in more than 1,800 energy-efficiency projects at almost 4,000 public facilities, saving state taxpayers more than $133 million annually in municipal energy costs."

So, what they're saying, is that they spent $1.44 billion (with a "B") of our tax dollars to save $133 million in energy costs. Does anyone else see a problem with the return on investment, or is it just me? And along those lines... has anybody seen their energy costs go down?

Here's my favorite line from the press release...

"Since the inception of its energy-services programs in the late 1980s, NYPA has financed approximately $1.44 billion in more than 1,800 energy-efficiency projects at almost 4,000 public facilities, saving state taxpayers more than $133 million annually in municipal energy costs."

So, what they're saying, is that they spent $1.44 billion (with a "B") of our tax dollars to save $133 million in energy costs. Does anyone else see a problem with the return on investment, or is it just me? And along those lines... has anybody seen their energy costs go down?

that says 133 million annually since the inception of the program in the late 1980's, so 133 mil X at least 20 years is a lot more than 1.44 billion. Doesn't sound like that bad a deal to me.

I'm no fan of NYPA, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Tim

Yes, they are putting up 5 more new ones on the slag piles of the old Steel Plant. As a youth we fished from shore there and caught a lot of fish. This is too bad for the public as access to the area will be denied probably by the Homeland Security Outfit. There is several miles of lakefront property that could be available for public use, but now they are going to be locked out for another generation.