How heavy braid for Dipsey rods?

I'm going to replace the braid on two dipsey rods that I've inherited. I'm positive it has been at least 25-30 years since it was last changed. What pound braid should I put on and is there any specific brand? I was thinking of loading the reels up with 80lb Power Pro. Will that work or is there something better?

What reels are on them. I have 500yd spools of 50 lb power pro on my two braid divers. Fit perfectly on a Daiwa ADP47LC.

They see limited action once fleas show up, but 3 or 4 seasons in and the 50 lb PP is good as new.

Tim

Firstly you should put 900 - 1000 ft of line on the reel. You may find yourself trolling with 250 ft of line out if you want to achieve depths of 70 ft or so. A screamer will easily take 300 ft or more of line. Do you want to lose all your tackle and line when this happens.

So the question becomes how much line will fit on your reel.

I use 30 lb power pro, it is good enough. More than this is an overkill. If you have a very large reel, maybe I'd stretch it to 40 lb test, not more than this. A reel with the drag set properly can easily pull any salmon out of the water with 30 lb test.

I am catching very lively salmon in the rivers right now. Fish are 30 lbs, line is 8 lb test. Drag is the key.

This is not a guess, this is what I practice, and I lose maybe only 5% of my fish, normally due to other reasons.

i use 40 and 50 lb power pro on my reels. I use the diawa 47lc and okuma 45 and never had a problem with reels or braided line. I have 300 yards on my reels and it fits no problem I would go with tbromund suggestion with the 500 yard spools. the only reason i have 300 yards on my reels is because that was what the store had and I have plenty of room for more line. I also buy the dark colors green or black. remember to spool it on real tight. good luck

30, 40, 50, ....80!!....all ok but put it away when fleas bloom out. If you insist on braid, go with fireline fused original (a tip given to me here on this forum) it helps some. Less prone to fleas if you must use it during that time. do braided wire and be more happy.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

my comments were not a guess either Mark, and I have a lot more than one summer's worth of trolling under my belt.

Tbro - I wansn't saying you were guessing. I was saying that what I am saying has been succesful for me. Not trying to offend anyone here. Also, I have lots of experience with braid in other applications. I do a lot of fishing down in Florida and braid is the way to go for snook, reds, and tarpon. Tarpon is the killer here. They will typically run 500 to 700 feet of line before they get tired, so you need minimum 1000 feet to have a chance landing these fish.

The point is, he should have at least 800 - 1000 feet of line on the reel - DON'T YOU AGREE??

If his reel won't fit that much 50lb line on, then what? Do you go with less length of a stronger line, or the right length of a lighter line? I think 30 lb to 40 lb is definitely enough. I haven't had any breaks yet on my 30 lb test, and I have landed a lot of fish this summer.

Anyhow - seems his reels are big enough for the 50 lb PP, so go for that.

However, I agree it will be painful/impossible to use when the fleas come out - so as long as you are okay doing without these reels for the 3 or so weeks that Fleas are around, you will be happy with braid - it is a nice line to work with.

Mark

my comments were not a guess either Mark, and I have a lot more than one summer's worth of trolling under my belt.

Tbro - I wansn't saying you were guessing. I was saying that what I am saying has been succesful for me. Not trying to offend anyone here. Also, I have lots of experience with braid in other applications. I do a lot of fishing down in Florida and braid is the way to go for snook, reds, and tarpon. Tarpon is the killer here. They will typically run 500 to 700 feet of line before they get tired, so you need minimum 1000 feet to have a chance landing these fish.

The point is, he should have at least 800 - 1000 feet of line on the reel - DON'T YOU AGREE??

If his reel won't fit that much 50lb line on, then what? Do you go with less length of a stronger line, or the right length of a lighter line? I think 30 lb to 40 lb is definitely enough. I haven't had any breaks yet on my 30 lb test, and I have landed a lot of fish this summer.

Anyhow - seems his reels are big enough for the 50 lb PP, so go for that.

However, I agree it will be painful/impossible to use when the fleas come out - so as long as you are okay doing without these reels for the 3 or so weeks that Fleas are around, you will be happy with braid - it is a nice line to work with.

Mark

Mark, you don't think 500 yards of 50 lb power pro is enough? That is what I said I have on my braid diver reels. He has the same size reels that I do.

Mark's Canadian; he did this once before, darn metric system. You said 500 yards and he's thinking 500 ft. Mark - Tim has 457 meters loaded on his reel, 1500 feet.

Guys - are you serious?!?!? Mortigan, when did I do that before???? That is about the most retarded comment I've ever seen here... I'm sure all of your Canadian mates on Spoonpullers will be ecstatic about your comment...

Of course I know he said 500 YARDS = 1500 feet.

Tbro - it doesn't matter if you have 500000000 yards on your reels, I was saying he needs to get at least 1000 feet on HIS reel. He didn't say anything about what reel he has in his starting post (go back and check above!). So I was telling him to make sure whatever he does to get at least that amount on the reel, and that he shouldn't be afraid of using 30 lb power pro if for instance he found he could not fit enough of the 50 lb line on. And I still stick to what I say, 50 lb is not necessary for king salmon in lake ontario. What lead strength do you use ... I'm guessing 20 lb right? That is your weakest link - so even if you have 30 lb or 40 lb braid as backing, you are good enough. Why should he spend the extra money on 50 lb if 30 lb test is good enough????

Guys, just because people have been on this site for less than a year doesn't mean they know nothing about fishing. I've been fishing for about 25 years - from Bass to Pike to Rainbow to Salmon to King Macheral to Tarpon to Shark to Snook, to Sea Trout, etc. etc. I think I know a thing or two about what I'm doing here. Don't automatically think because you don't know us that we are automatically all idiots.

Skipper19 - lol - no; compulsive IT guy - yes. Don't you remember your reply to Mark's last post - something like "Come on guys, peace. Saw that one coming. Can't wait for trolling to start up again? It's why I figured system error - there was no possible reason to censor your reply.

MuskyBob - thanks for checking. I was getting SQL library errors early Sat am selecting unread posts. Posting replies, they looked like they updated but were gone the following day. Skipper19's reply was visible for 24 hours before disappearing. I checked Blueeyes posted bug fixes and don't see anything that matches. I woke up to Frontier DSL issues so didn't know if the errors were you or me.

whew now we can get back to bashing..................65lb powerpro will dive same as wire to about 150 ft out then it starts to show the drag -vs-dyspy pull,,,,,,,,,,,,,,50lb PP will achive same as wire at 2.2 to 2.5 mph.. Trust me this ant no guess...

After using power pro for about 10 yrs ,(well it didnt take that long) you will find some abrasion to outer coating (little fuzzy) which has to have effect to breaking strength,not to mention "knot strength loss" so thats why some of us use a little overkill (50-65lb) price ant much different and the first breakoff of smaller size will offset any savings..

I used to exceed 100 days fishing a season and Tim gets out there once or twice too :lol: ,

(just DONT TAKE any NETTING ADVISE FROM tim!!!!!))))

hOPE THIS HELPS

Ray K.

whew now we can get back to bashing..................65lb powerpro will dive same as wire to about 150 ft out then it starts to show the drag -vs-dyspy pull,,,,,,,,,,,,,,50lb PP will achive same as wire at 2.2 to 2.5 mph.. Trust me this ant no guess...

After using power pro for about 10 yrs ,(well it didnt take that long) you will find some abrasion to outer coating (little fuzzy) which has to have effect to breaking strength,not to mention "knot strength loss" so thats why some of us use a little overkill (50-65lb) price ant much different and the first breakoff of smaller size will offset any savings..

I used to exceed 100 days fishing a season and Tim gets out there once or twice too :lol: ,

(just DONT TAKE any NETTING ADVISE FROM tim!!!!!))))

hOPE THIS HELPS

Ray K.

Hey Ray,

I've just got one thing to say about that:

:mooning::mooning::mooning::mooning: