The dreaded trailer tire topic....

Misty IV

Not to start a debate here, but need some input on trailer tires, mainly bias vs radial.

My tandem axle trailer for the Misty IV is in need of tires. Almost scared to make the 5 hour haul with 2 of the 4 on the trailer now. Still plenty of tread, but the sidewalls are cracking and they just don't look safe. Current size is ST175/80R13. The size is readily available in either bias or radial versions. The Marathons on the trailer are radials. Seems they are made in China now, as are the majority of trailer tires. I found the Carlisle Radial Trail is made in the USA, but haven't seen favorable reviews on them. Research I have done indicates the radials track better and disipate heat better than the bias plies do. For my 5 hour haul in the spring to the lake, about 15-20 runs to the launch (5 miles) and the 5 hour haul home in the spring, will bias plies do fine or should I spend the extra and get radials? I found a set of Kenda Karrier tires with a load range 'D' I am considering, given the added weight on the boat compared to the previous owner. Current tires are 'B'.

Thoughts, input, advice??? Thanks!!

Thanks, Sean. A positive vote for the Carlisles!! I like the looks of them a lot and would prefer going with them. What tires did you have on before the Carlisles that didn't last?

I did a little research last year on this subject. From what I understood, Radials are for long distance travel and bias are for short distance trailering. I trailer six to nine hours to get to the lake so I went with Goodyear Marathon Radials. I have them on my smaller boat trailer and my wifes camper with good luck so I stuck with them.

I trailered up from Central PA in the spring and home in the fall 12 seasons with my last boat, 27' w/ alum. dual axle trailer. (2) sets of tires is all I ever had on it, last pair was Carlise radials, what a difference over stock bias. I'd never buy anything but radial trailer tires for over the road, my opinion.

Radial tires are always the best and if you travel highway speeds temps going near 80 degrees outside extended high speed , heat will build rapidly in bias and the stress of the trailer swaying in wind will heat a bias tire worse as well. I have Carlisle tires and love them, stay away from Kendra and load star for any tire, they wear very uneven. Just my opinion.

Mark

Nothing sucks worse to have a flat or worse a blow out and have to change it on the side of the road. Spare tires are a must but radials are much more dependable for weight and highway speed.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have 10 GoodYear Marathons in my fleet. 6 on a boat trailer, 4 on a car trailer. The car trailer has a ton of miles on it, gets overloaded all the time, tires have been great. And no dry rot after 7-plus years. Ride quality is far superior than bias ply.

If it has radios on it now you have to stick with them you can`t mix them without buying all new. I just went though it with my trailer, ruin a brand new tire they mixed a bais and a radio and then blamed it on a bent rim. Maybe the rim was bent, I don`t know but then they told me I should not mix the tires, so learn from me. If I was you I would buy to new tires and rims the rims are cheap and keep the other two for spares on a trip that long. I have the goodyears marathons on my camper and they run fine

I ruined a set (4) of brand new radial tires on a 300 mile trip to Toronto with a 22 footer 2 years ago. The axles were not tracking straight ahead and it wore them out, scuffing along a little sideways like that...pulled hard too. I don't know how to align trailer tires/axles but I know it's good to do.

I changed from 13" bias to 14" radials last year. What a difference. It tows much better. With the 13" bias tires, I kept having the cords separate and was buying a new tire every 600 mile trip. I had to build new fenders for my trailer out of metal to give clearance for the 14" tires. Which is also better because they won't fly apart if or when I ever have another tire blow out like the plastic fenders. As for the brand tire. I really don't have enough miles on mine to recommend any specific brand. I still have (3) 13" bias tires and four wheels if your interested in a great deal.

High Bidder

I ruined a set (4) of brand new radial tires on a 300 mile trip to Toronto with a 22 footer 2 years ago. The axles were not tracking straight ahead and it wore them out, scuffing along a little sideways like that...pulled hard too. I don't know how to align trailer tires/axles but I know it's good to do.

You can get a trailer aligned. Call around to truck alignment shops they can usually do it or refer you to someone that can.

Dennis