Tuna Fishing off of NJ 07/10/12

Team Reel Hooked Up took on the Atlantic yesterday! We departed Avalon NJ for what was planned to be a 24 hr. Tuna fishing adventure. After an 80 mile ride out we were anchored up over a temp brake in 145 fow, and the screen was lit up with big tuna. When the first line hit the water at 4pm it was game on, yellow fin and blue fin tuna were crushing the baits and the drags were screaming. Jason hooked up with the first big yellow fin on a jig, as he was battling that beast I hooked up with a big blue fin on a jig that about took the rod out of my hands, then my dad hooks up with a big tuna on bait. This bite lasted till ten pm I don’t think we ever had a minute that we didn’t have a fish on. We finally had to call it quits and head in due to the fact we had more than enough fish and none of us could reel in another fish. We caught a couple major bonus fish. Jason got a big hammer head shark that took live bait off a kite rig, and I had a battle of a lifetime with a giant ray that took forever to get to the back of the boat. I bet the thing was 8ft wide and did not want to show itself. But the best surprise was the big Blue Marlin that I hooked up with on a 40lb leader bait rig. I hooked up with what I thought was another tuna on a bait at the back of the boat, just as I yelled fish on he came out of the water at the back of the boat and everyone’s jaws dropped. I was surprised I got to keep him around the boat for several good jumps and I thought I might have a chance. About that time he went ballistic and got tail wrapped, last I saw of him he was headed north mostly in the air and 200 yards from the boat when he broke the 40lb Floro. This was one heck of a trip my Mom, Dad, Jason, myself and both of our wives were on the trip we all had a blast. Figured I would post a few pics. It’s amazing the fishing we have within just a short drive from this area.

Jason and his Wife

IMG_8874.jpg

Double

IMG_8826.jpg

My Blue Fin

IMG_8843.jpg

Dad with a good Yellow Fin

IMG_8881.jpg

Shark

IMG_8811.jpg

A few of the many!

IMG_8876.jpg

?? LOL

IMG_8887.jpg

My Marlin waving good bye

IMG_8854.jpg

IMG_8798.jpg

NICE! Thanks for the pics and for the story. I had plans to go out with my father and a family friend in RI a few years back, but we got there and it turned out to be way too rough, so that was a long ride home.

do you get to keep them or does the boat?

I have heard that on tuna trips you dont get to keep them the boat does and sells them?

We gave half to boat we could have had all of it. I spent 6hrs yesterday butchering and vacum sealing up tuna steaks at least 200lbs worth or more. I did keep all of the blue fin he was perfect with lots of fat I should have ran down to the city and sold him. LOL If you get a tuna over 73 inches he belongs to the boat. Sean

do you get to keep them or does the boat?

I have heard that on tuna trips you dont get to keep them the boat does and sells them?

We gave half to boat we could have had all of it. I spent 6hrs yesterday butchering and vacum sealing up tuna steaks at least 200lbs worth or more. I did keep all of the blue fin he was perfect with lots of fat I should have ran down to the city and sold him. LOL If you get a tuna over 73 inches he belongs to the boat. Sean

got ya