Youth Pheasant Hunt

Miss em

Emily got to put all of hard work of practicing her wing shooting this summer to the test with some pheasant hunting the last couple of days. This was her first bird hunt ever and turns out she is deadly! Dog worked great and worked the cover like an old pro, even at only 14 months old.

DSC_0774web.jpg

DSC_0826web.jpg

First off congratulations on a successful hunt!

I'm certainly not against introducing youths to hunting as I taught school for 33 years and am a former Hunter Safety Instructor. However, the state land I tried to hunt on Monday was nearly devoid of birds due to the youth hunt. Others I talked to said they experienced the same on other state land. First year we've ever hunted with zero flushes and with many hunters afield we only heard a handful of shots. I'm afraid with the special privileges allowed to the youth hunts that there may be a backlash from some senior hunters if it disrupts their long traditions. I know there are concerns over the youth deer hunt coinciding with the bow season. Not sure what the solution is.

I am all for the youth hunts because I have kids myself 13 and 15 years old and I also found zero birds at the place I normally start off at this year. Three of us hunted with my yellow lab on the 3rd and walked for hours, but I did find 2 dead birds that must have been shot but not found. I hate seeing that but it happens from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

Blockhead,

Check out the Columbus Day Youth Hunt Poll on the Big Game/ Small Game forum and you'll see that my prediction on conflicting opinions on youth hunts was correct. Perhaps I'm not so ignorant after all. My wife participated in a women's pheasant hunt in St Lawrence County on Saturday. 50 birds we released on State Land for that hunt. Guess I need to adjust to new way of doing things and hunt the thicker stuffer after the youth and women hunts to pick up all the missed birds.