Downrigger mounting gunnels or board?

Tripleduece50

I think it is purely a prefrence issue, but some things to consider:

1) If you go with the board across the back how far will you have to reach to operate the downriggers or handle the rods (if you have back issues this will be a deciding factor)

2) Are the gunnels sturdy and or wide enough for the support downrigger bases to be installed? and if so willl you be able to add additional support underneath if needed (i.e. is it accessible?)

3) Which option gives you the best range of clearance from the motor (s) and angles of operation?

4) Will you still be able to net fish and do other things in the back of theboat if you go with the board approach?

5) Will you be using low or high profile swivel bases and pedestals? The pedestals generate some torque and you certainly want the most secure option for their use

6) How long are the booms of the downriggers? and are they adjustable if you need extra length for example for clearance or angle issues?

7) Sometimes it helps to actually set up a mock situation for either option with the rods in place etc. to test for clearance issues and things that might not be so intuitive :>)

8) If the Cannons are electrics which option will provide the most opportunity for out of the way connection to the battery (ies)

9) If the board approach is used is it possible to use two sections that swing out (on hinges) and then lock in place so that when necessary you an get to the motor compartment without climbing?

Just a few things off the top of my head to perhaps consider....

Rigger placement is all about ease of use. If your gunnels are low relative to your deck,use the board. That way you will get to the rods faster and you don't have to bend over every time you grab a rod.

If the gunnels are high already,there is no need to make them any higher. Also on smaller boats you want everything as close to the center as possible because the higher off center,the riggers will act like rudders and the boat will start to pivot around your rigger and specially your dipsy rod.

Riggers produce a lot of torque and require a solid (strong) mounted-to location, especially if you want to run the heavier weights. Make that your first priority.

Others have given you many options to consider, and I particularly like the concept of a hinged board if the board option is taken. There will be a time on the water when access to the stern will be critical.

The one thing not yet mentioned for consideration is equipment placement for ease of entry and egress to the boat when it is at dockside. Don't forget to factor this in also, as I am sure you don't want someone to damage the equipment trying to enter or get off of the boat. Riggers and rod holders are the first things peolpe use to help them get in because they are right there for the handhold. And where are the rods going to be? Think it out well and test it out fully before you make anything permanent (or live with gazillions of holes when you get finished fine-tuning everything).

Have you considered using a track system on the gunnels??

I have used all the methods ( board, fixed mount, track system) and the trck system gives much flexibility ,allows quick removal if needed, and leaves the stern open

boat size and style makes a difference smaller boats where you can reach the stern over a board the board is a nice option because of weight distribution as the boat gets larger gunnel mounts are more and more appealing what make and model boat do you have maybe some one with a similar model will be able to give you some feedback on what theve done.