Which vhf radio?

Chas0218

Ok I am in the market for a vhf radio (never had one before) I am looking for something that is primarily used for tournaments just to hear starts and info. I dont fish off shore to the point I cannot see land. I also need an antenna.

Any suggestion for a budget $200 or under?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Between a good antenna (very important) and for example a Uniden you should be below the $200. Don't skimp on the antenna.

If you get a VHF radio,you should hook it into your GPS and get an MMSI number. If you (god forbid) get in trouble on the water all you have to do is push the distress button on your radio and it will send out a mayday on all frequencies + your exact location. On top of that it will broadcast your MMSI # . With the info you gave when you signed up it will contact your home phone and get in touch with the family.

It's for free!

What do you guys feel is a good amount of money on the antenna? I was looking at a cobra antenna 5' then attaching it to my bimini. It will be about 12' from water level to the tip.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Spend big on the antenna and it will make the VHF !!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

:yes::yes: Hearing the starts and such isn't as important as getting help when you need it!! 8' The higher mount the better.

I called the Coast Guard for assistance and gave them the GPS numbers displayed. The numbers were for a previous waypoint and I was embarassed. Most law enforcement vessels are equipped with radio direction finders so they know which way you are from them. They also locate you when you are using your radio foolishly. Marine radios are for intership safety, not gossip. You can be fined for misuse of your radio. If you need to socialize, use your cell phone.

Looks like I might be picking up a standard horizon with DSC I think its a gs1000x. The antenna I am researching a little to figure the best for the money but it looks like a shakespeare 8' 6db.

That's about the same setup we have and it works great.

Jimski2's right - I hear very little chatter on the vhf and use my cell to text for feedback, when I can. You'll be surprised how often your cell gets no signal within sight of shore. We got the vhf so we can yell for help if needed. The weather changes out there on a dime and we've had mechanical/equipment issues before, although never at the same time.

Better safe than sorry.

There are frequencies dedicated to emergency communication and hailing, and there are frequencies that are ok for recreational use. Your radio will come with an owners manual that should have the listing of available frequencies and the restrictions. Try chatting on channel 16 and the Coasties will put a stop to it quick as that is the channel for hailing the CG and for emergency transmissions. 9 is primarily used as a hailing channel as well. Most ports have a favorite channel for chatting, typically 68 or 72. 16 is also used to hail another boat or a marina and then redirect to another channel once contact is made.

IMO any DSC radio will work, I currently have a Standard Horizon and an very happy with it. The antenna is far more important. I an a big fan of the 8' Shakespeare Galaxy 5225 XT. I wouldn't go lower quality than the Galaxy Series, personally.

Definitely get an 8'. VHF is "line of sight" transmission, so if your antenna cannot directly see the antenna of the boat you want to talk to (due to distance and the curve of the earth) you won't be able to communicate. That won't be a problem with the CG as they have high mounted antenna's at their stations so that they pretty much have continual coverage in their service area.

Definitely get your MMSI number for the DSC radio and connect the radio to your GPS through the NMEA connection (either 0183 or 2000, whatever your system supports) so that in the event of an emergency when you activate the DSC alert, it will send both your lat/long data to the CG (and any other DSC equipped radio/boat within your broadcast range) along with the description of your vessel that you included when you registered for the MMSI number. Another little used feature of the DSC capability is that it will also let you talk privately between yourself and your friends DSC Radio equipped boat, if you have each others MMSI number entered into the radio's memory.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

6dbd or 6dbi? Your vertical antenna will never give you that much gain. If its dbi, it has no gain. If purchasing a vhf antenna, make sure it is 5/8 wavelength, or multiple if it.