Salmon rod for rigger

mhtrapper

Was wondering if I could use the heavy end where the reel hooks on up to first eye on pole lined with 60 to 80 lbs braid would work for a down rigger . I was thinking about a bottom bouncer wire with  homemade weights probably nothing over 4 lbs, the reel would be a line counter so you know how deep you were, on the other side of the bottom bouncer wire hook the release, I am thinking this would work good and make use of some old broken pole that we all have laying around, hopefully the wouldnt count it a line for fishing. Let me know what you think. I am thinking river and small lake use I suppose you could use it on big water also.

Gonna try the rigger out tonight got a rod all set up with homemade release also I will try and send a picture of the contraption should work basically holding release to main line down with weight we will see might have to do something different with eyelit that is gonna take the punishment from weight hanging straight off it . here is some pictures.post-148929-0-08235700-1376149386_thumb.jpgpost-148929-0-95917200-1376149412_thumb.jpgpost-148929-0-07266500-1376149449_thumb.jpg

Tried make shift rigger sat night, I think it will work but I need more weight for my rigger ball, definitely was not heavy enough might even have to break down and buy a couple releases, might try the ones off my offshore boards not sure if they are strong enough I will just have to try them.