Canandaigua Perch fishing & almost witness to disaster 9-30-13

Sk8man

My son and I launched at the north end for some perch fishing this AM and decided to try things right out from the pier about 7:30 AM. Off in the distance we noticed the Remax balloon (often see it out there over the water). I mentioned to my son that it was pretty windy today for that ....we caught a few dinks and threw them back and then we noticed the balloon coming closer and closer and lower and lower and trying al the while to inflate the balloon without success. The balloon then came right up the channel at about 5 to 6 ft off the water (max) headed right for the Inn on the Lake Tent and building as well as the metal break wall near it. At the very last seconds the balloon inflated and starting lifting and very barely cleared the trees and buildings. I had my camera with me so I took pics while my son readied the boat in case we needed to rescue them from the water. Luckily they didn't need us but wow! talk about a close call.....(pics below)

We ended up with about 35 keeper perch and a few good sunfish caught on crabs and minnows and rubber some in 6 ft of water and some in 27 ...not schooled up yet apparently. Threw back about100 or more dinks...and spent a lot of time today in "Dinkville". Mark caught a nice smallie on the ultralight (all we use) about 3-4 lbs.

Interesting day :)

post-145411-0-51725000-1380569139_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-76906800-1380569148_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-30209400-1380569160_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-40859900-1380569175_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-96512900-1380569185_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-74164400-1380569214_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-38962000-1380569262_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

My wife purchased a balloon trip for me years ago for my birthday. We went from Rush to Victor. There were a bunch of times when the guys running the balloon would lower us to where we were just skimming over fields, barely a couple feet above the ground, then they'd lift us up over the tree line just in time. It seemed "exciting" to me, but they knew what they were doing. Could be that these guys were doing the same sort of thing? :thinking: Although it seems a bit irresponsible if they're doing it so close to buildings...very cool pics, though.

I think  this one was accidental because of the south wind gaining in strength  quite quickly. It was projected to be 6 mph and went much higher at that point it was blowing at least 15 mph or more. They sure scared me though as I thought they were going to crash into the metal  break wall or the building (or the electric lines in front) for sure and at the last moment they pulled it off :) I was happy it ended that way.

Edited by Sk8man

Nice shots Sk8man.....I'll bet, from that angle, the balloon gave U a start!......"Girly-girl spoons" :wondering:??????? I'm afraid to ask... :P ..!    rbonnell....When at Seneca try that shiny trolling spoon thing. If you are picking up smallies doing that, you can find the jacks right in there with them, on the same technique. You can try brownish or greenish soft plastic (grubtails, swimbaits, etc.) jigs as well, suspended or rigged 15 ft or so behind the cannonball at those mid depths over 50-60fow. Good luck.

I was fishing with Mike, and Tom on canandaigua last year and saw the same thing with the baloon almost in the water. I think they must do it regularly, but sure looks like mayhem is about to ensue!...not for me!

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app