Sturgeon stocking

I hope they make it. They are pretty cool fish...right out of the stone age (and before). They seem to be making it in Lake O OK.

i seem to remember sombody wanting to buy lamprys to sell for sturgeon bait if they truly do pray on those blood suckers these little guys could thrive in cayuga id love to see a viable sport (catch and release) fishery for them in new york in my life time people would be a huge draw for tourism and put more money in the conservation fund if cumo lets the dec spend it

Tg8 how dare you dampin my optimisium with your science.   :mooning:   still i know the stocking in the genny several years back had some good success my buddy caught one about 4 feet long a couple years back and he dec did a survey that showed good numbers surviving.  I've seen them caught in the seneca river and i know onieda lake has a good population.  Interestingly black lake has a small but very big (size) population and i recently discovered that they have lampreys in there thogh they dont seem to explode in numbers.  so i still have hope for cayuga I know they had a huge year class of lampray this year hopfully they will get most of them in the traps and there wont be any flooding this spawning season

These sturgeon are not great fighters at all. I accidently caught a 3 footer about 2 years ago. It did not fight at all,I just sort of slowly dragged it to the boat and even next to the boat it still acted like a piece of dead wood.

i know the white sturgeon in the pacific jump and these sturgeon jump when not hooked my buddys pulled and dogged to the bottom I gotta imagine when they get over 100 pounds it has to be a decent fight even if they just try to hug bottom.  i'm just glade the DEC continues to work these kind of restoration projects as well as the gamefish stockings it will only serve to improve the overall health of the waters a diverse eco system is a resilant ecosystem

i know the white sturgeon in the pacific jump and these sturgeon jump when not hooked my buddys pulled and dogged to the bottom I gotta imagine when they get over 100 pounds it has to be a decent fight even if they just try to hug bottom.  i'm just glade the DEC continues to work these kind of restoration projects as well as the gamefish stockings it will only serve to improve the overall health of the waters a diverse eco system is a resilant ecosystem

:yes: Very well said..... :nod: