What size Reel for 1000' of 30# wire

I know some folks here will probably say go to a Daiwa Saltist or Okuma Convector or else one of the even more expensive  reels but for the money the Magda Pro 45's aren't bad and they will hold1000 ft and a decent amount of mono backing as well. They are a little bigger in size than the 30's but they seem a little heavier duty to me (a good thing) and yet they are light enough that they don't swivel around in the rod holder etc. The drags on them may not be as smooth or durable long term (not sure on that) as some of the more expensive reels but in my view they aren't bad at all. If I were deciding between just those two reels I would go with the 45 if it were me.

Convector 30 for me. You can get for $60 at Northwoods Outlet. Your goin to pay probably at least 50 for a magna pro and there is no comparison between the 2. Convector's IMO are the best reel out there for the price.

I would agree with Jakey unless you can find a deal on the Magda's. I picked up a bunch of them at a LOTSA show for $33 a piece.  I have 4 magda 30's for wire divers and they work good.  I am just a recreational guy and they suit my purpose.  If I were a charter  I would go with something else like a convector, clarion , or saltist for the everyday pounding they would take.

I use the older Okuma Catalina size 25 which they discontinued. I have three wire rigs and I am looking at the new Penn's or the Cabelas which look like the old Catalina. As far as the Magna, there must be a reason they are cheaper than the other Okuma's.

What size reel do I need to get for a 1000' 30# wire diver setup? Will I be able to get 1000' on an Okuma Magda Pro 30DX or will I need to get the 45DX?

Any Okuma 30 series line counter reel will work. If you are looking for an "entry level" reel then i would suggest the Okuma Convector CV-30D. The Magna pro series is ok for an entry level downrigger reel but for wire divers you will be glad you spent the extra money on the convectors. 1000' of 30# ss wire will easily fit on the reel but i would suggest 100' of 30# mono backing to to ensure the reel is 100% full.

If you are using okuma reels, use a reel that costs more than the spool of wire. Magda pro reels are absolute garbage. Convectors are a much better choice.

Edited by GAMBLER

why so much wire....1000' ?

Caz you usually have 250 to 350' of wire out on the setup and a king wacks it and takes out another 400' or more. :o You need the 1000' :yes:

I had a Convector right out of the box that didn't work at all no drag on it and spool wouldn't engage. I said the heck with it and ordered a Magda Pro45 to test it out...figured I wouldn't be out all that much if it didn't do the job..it functions fine. I wouldn't want to be using it for tuna though :lol: and for more serious stuff (salmon or derbies) I rely on my new Daiwa's.  DJ717 hit things on the head though....if you are a part time recreational fisherman on a limited budget or maybe just starting out I wouldn't totally dismiss the Magda Pros. Heavy duty sports fishermen fishing very frequently with a good budget or charter folks are a different matter and need to be a lot "pickier" about their equipment and "durability" and "reliability" are critical - especially when the equipment is being used by multiple and often inexperienced folks.

Caz you usually have 250 to 350' of wire out on the setup and a king wacks it and takes out another 400' or more. :o You need the 1000' :yes:

Thanks, I thought with wire you had to treat it the same as copper

I bought some really inexpensive reels (shakespeare and cabela's) the first season.  Then upgraded the next year (to Daiwa 47LC and Satist's)...i retired the cheap stuff for spring browns.  So, it cost me more in the long run!  Now, i'd probably buy the new Daiwa 57LC or Seagate (to get the high gear ratio for just over $100).  And load it up with a bunch of 40 lbs big game for backing...then 1,000 ft of wire.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE