West Coast Aluminum Boat Question

RodBuster

I am looking to upgrade my boat. I like the flexibility of a trailerable aluminum boat. I have been studying the Hewescraft, Thunderjet, Duckworth and Similar boats in 22 foot range with hardtop.

One negative i have read about is the size of the enclosed cockpit being a "sail" on windy days, more so than a glass boat because of the lighter weight and less draft.

I am looking for opinions from anyone that has this type of boat. I have only seen a couple out there on the lake. 

Please call me. I have a pilot house Wooldridge. I'd be happy to talk to you about it. Just call me will save a lot of emails or texts. I have some build pictures of my boat at www.bayofquintecharters.com. My number is on there to. Call anytime. It was a huge help to talk to someone when I was shopping. If be happy to repay the favour. Please note I'm very happy with my boat but I know there are lots of good builders and boats out there. I am NOT a patch pirate and will NOT sing the praises of any one product for a hat and a t shirt or anything else.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I own a Hewescraft 22ft Searunner and would not own any other aluminum boat. The customer service at Hewescraft is second to none.  You get a real person who will answer your questions or how to install a part. I been to Alaska and looked at the DuckWorth and Woodbridge boat too. If you want something 26 ft and over they get the nod. Under 26 foot get a Hewescraft. I have my boat on the Little Salmon River near Mexico Point.

I own a starcraft Islander in that footage. It is true that they lay higher on the water and because of it they do get pushed a bit more by side winds, but once you figure out the different forces you can easily go in a straight line by compensating against the wind. You can also put some weight in the cuddy. This will make her ride a bit deeper into the waves instead of going on top.

I have 2 aluminum boats, an Islander and a 165 Alumacraft. I have APs in both boats and troll a fair amount alone. I believe you will have a learning curve to deal with when trolling these type of craft, alone w/ an AP engaged but eventually you will figure out the nuances of boat control. Like Rolmops said above, sandbags in the nose of the Islander,etc. One trick I use is to deploy a set of large planer boards when the wind is variable, seems to make the boat wander less & pilot compensates much less often.

I have 2 aluminum boats, an Islander and a 165 Alumacraft. I have APs in both boats and troll a fair amount alone. I believe you will have a learning curve to deal with when trolling these type of craft, alone w/ an AP engaged but eventually you will figure out the nuances of boat control. Like Rolmops said above, sandbags in the nose of the Islander,etc. One trick I use is to deploy a set of large planer boards when the wind is variable, seems to make the boat wander less & pilot compensates much less often.

The large planer boards work very well,specially when fishing solo. They really help going straight lines

• 2 weeks later...

Rolmops,

How do you like the open bow?   On a rough day how much water do you take over the front?   I saw what I believe was a Hewescraft Pilothouse with open bow fishing next to me at the Oak last year, and I saw alot of water coming out of the drain holes. It was 3 to 4 foot waves.   I don't know if I like that.

TXS,

RB

Welded boats from the west coast area use .125 inch aluminum usually. Rivet boats use thinner stuff. Crestliner and Starweld boats made by Brunswick may be using thinner plate but they hold up better than a rivet boat. 

Rolmops,

How do you like the open bow?   On a rough day how much water do you take over the front?   I saw what I believe was a Hewescraft Pilothouse with open bow fishing next to me at the Oak last year, and I saw alot of water coming out of the drain holes. It was 3 to 4 foot waves.   I don't know if I like that.

TXS,

RB

When I had my open bow 19 foot aluminum sylvan I always would troll riding the wave trough either all the way or at an angle but never at 90 degrees. That way there usually was no problem with water braking over the bow. Now that I have my closed bow islander I am less worried about taking on water and I sometimes do take bigger waves straight on the bow. On the other hand,I am out there to enjoy ,not to punish myself, so usually when it becomes decidedly unpleasant I head for the launch and not neccesarily the one that I launched from.

I was mistaken Rolmops, I meant to ask Bullet as his boat has an open self bailing bow. Bullet, what say you? BTW I now own a crestliner sabre so I am familiar with water shedding capability of a closed bow. Thats why I am nervous about the open bow.

• 4 weeks later...

I own a Hewescraft 22ft Searunner and would not own any other aluminum boat. The customer service at Hewescraft is second to none. You get a real person who will answer your questions or how to install a part. I been to Alaska and looked at the DuckWorth and Woodbridge boat too. If you want something 26 ft and over they get the nod. Under 26 foot get a Hewescraft. I have my boat on the Little Salmon River near Mexico Point.

Is your boat red? We were fishing out in Mexico few weeks ago and I kept seeing what I thought was a red Hewescraft. It was a really neat looking boat. I wanted to get an up close look at it. I've always been interested in west coast aluminum boats. Where did you get it? Did you have to go out to Washington or Oregon?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Is your boat red? We were fishing out in Mexico few weeks ago and I kept seeing what I thought was a red Hewescraft. It was a really neat looking boat. I wanted to get an up close look at it. I've always been interested in west coast aluminum boats. Where did you get it? Did you have to go out to Washington or Oregon?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

That was probably me. I have a red Willie Raptor.

I have a 22' 2011 Hewescraft Searunner w/Soft top & have not had any issues with it behaving like a sail. These boats are relatively heavier than riveted boats, bottom hull is 0.20" thick, almost 1/4". The bare hull weighs 1950lbs alone. This will not be a problem for you.

PM me if you have any other questions.

John