Water in gas tank

fshnwmn

I removed the fuel level assembly and ran a hose from the bottom of the tank through the transom drain plug and siphoned most of the fuel, dirt and water out into five gallon cans. Then with a wire coat hanger and an old tee shirt I wiped the inside clean while wringing it out by hand into a bucket.

Make sure your fire insurance is paid up and take out another $100,000 on your life insurance.

If you pull the tank out you should be prepared to replace all the fill and vent lines as they are probably aged and are not pliable anymore. You also may get it done by raising the bow up high and just siphoning or pumping the low part of tank.

Sounds like a lot of varnish in the tank and is clogging the filter. You could use some acetone to dissolve the varnish already in the tank, also e85 will do it too just don't run either of them thru your motor.  

Other than that just keep running it and changing the filter until it is gone.

Edited by Chas0218

Fshnwmn,

Last year I hand pumped 90 gallons of bad gas from my auxillary tank.  I borrowed one of those 1 1/2 gallon oil/exchange pumps.  I also purchased a fuel funnel to help siphon any water pulled out of the tank.  I put the tainted gas in 5 gallon containers and burned it in all of my families cars at 5 gallons per week.  The cars burned the gas great, Yamaha's not so much.  Either way it is a crap job and takes forever depending how much gas is in your tank.  I siphoned it out through the sending unit under the deck plate.  Buy a piece of steel fuel line so you are sure you get to the bottom of the tank.  Mine was a 150 gallon tank.  Good luck.

John

• 5 weeks later...

Put your boat on an incline on the trailer.  Put a hose in the gas tank all the way to the bottom in the back part of the tank.  Siphon the water out until gas starts coming out.  Gas floats on water so you can get the gas out fairly easy this way. 

It is my understanding that gas w/ ethanol absorbs the water, not like pure gas. Gas w/ eth is like having 10% drygas.

Also that is why eth is no good in boat or longterm because it attracts the water.

If the tank is older & you were using pure gas & just started using eth gas it may have dissolved the varnish/ crud  on the inside of the tank .

I drained the 25 gal  five year old gas out of my boat & burned it in my work truck. It clogged the filter & cooked the fuel pump  shortly after so be carefull.