Yankee's 4th of July Weekend @ the Oak

Friday July 4th - Heard the waves beating the shoreline from the NW. Went back to bed.

Saturday July 5th - This board member named Maniac has really been finding his way onto our boat when we have days off. He brought his family, and his daughters BF which god bless all you fathers our there with daughters, and Mr. Silver Fox also jumped on for a nice day of fishing. We went out to 150' set up and trolled around looking for some sign of Salmon. The bait was ridiculous, the marks were ridiculous, and the catching was slllooowwww. We took one nice 8lb Steelbow on a Moonshine Shelly Snack fished off a 10 color Stealth Core. 

We changed plans and pointed her South to find out where the BT were hanging. We found the ideal water in 65-75', and worked that the rest of the morning. We did fair on the BT, but the water was still moving with the wind. The sun would get high and bright, and we lost our bite the last hour. Best spoons were a Yellow Tail and a Sea Sick Waddler fished on our Cannon out and downs as well as our divers out 120-140'.

IMG_20140705_064454207_zps8em7bxze.jpg

IMG_20140705_112046109_zpsldw2vsrz.jpg

Sunday July 6th - We knew we had a half day with 5 guys, so we knew the Brown Trout were going to be the target species. We hoped the continuous West/NW didn't continue to bring in more warm water and destroy those Browns, and it didn't. We found them again in 68-72' of water. The bait was ridiculous, and the Browns were just beating it up. Our Cannon out and downs were studs with a Yellow Tail and a Sea Sick Waddler. Our 10 color Stealth core was also on fire with a Glow Frog.

It was an insane bite! A few doubles, and steady action. One guy actually had the nerve to say he wasn't expecting to catch anything on this fishing charter. We made sure he caught all the small ones!

IMG_20140706_062253636_zpssdzxoz6n.jpg

IMG_20140706_063707482_zpsvl2vgmay.jpg

IMG_20140706_062905074_zpshg8sirbe.jpg

IMG_20140706_065357034_zps121hilir.jpg

Edited by Yankee Troller

Nice work Rick :yes:  It is also a very good example for all of us that it is important to "change gears" when things just aren't happening with the kings whether charter or sportie. It's all about creating  or following the action and is something to keep in the forefront of our minds instead of getting caught up in the "same old same old" when things are slow. Great pics and report.

Awesome report Rick - way to make the best of what the lake offers at a given time. One client said  "...I wasn't expecting to catch anything on this charter...." eh?

He picked the wrong boat then.

Good luck and as always thanks for sharing,

Chris

Great report Rick! You sure know how to dial into the brown trout program.

You have demonstrated that the key to success is to be able to adapt to the conditions on the lake.

Tight lines!

Thanks for the report, and nice job on those browns. I would have liked to have seen similar action last time I was out.

I have seen similar bait balls in the 60-80' range but never hooked up with anything. What are you changing in lure depth and speed to get the browns in that range of water? Is there anything else you change about your presentation when you switch from salmon to trout? I am hoping to go out Friday near Pultneyville, and if there is no king action I want a plan B. Normally this time of year I can only get into some browns at sunrise in the shallow clear water. Lately there has been very little stained water or significant temperature breaks.

Rick glad to see you are still doing well out there. We made the drive from Maine last week and only got to Sodus and found some fish. Heard the bite was tough out of Wilson so we pulled up short. I am sure you remember "the reel gang from Maine" We fish with Andy a few years back. How is dad?

Thanks for the report, and nice job on those browns. I would have liked to have seen similar action last time I was out.

I have seen similar bait balls in the 60-80' range but never hooked up with anything. What are you changing in lure depth and speed to get the browns in that range of water? Is there anything else you change about your presentation when you switch from salmon to trout? I am hoping to go out Friday near Pultneyville, and if there is no king action I want a plan B. Normally this time of year I can only get into some browns at sunrise in the shallow clear water. Lately there has been very little stained water or significant temperature breaks.

We look for where 55-60 degree water hits bottom. We leader down with Flouro no heavier than 15lbs, but we try to go 10lb if the rod allows it. Our Moor stays between 1.9-2.1. Other than that we just fish the marks.

Rick glad to see you are still doing well out there. We made the drive from Maine last week and only got to Sodus and found some fish. Heard the bite was tough out of Wilson so we pulled up short. I am sure you remember "the reel gang from Maine" We fish with Andy a few years back. How is dad?

I remember ya bud! Dad is good. Andy is good. 

Nice fishing with your family. I still don't know how you kept your cool! Lol. I'm sure in 8 years it will be my turn.

Hey Scott, great to meet you!! Your time will come....before you know it!! LOL