Draining water from outboard

JimB

Quick question.   2002 75hp Mercury outboard.  

Other than lowering the outbaord to a vertical position, is there any way to make sure there is no water left in the lower portion of it so it doesn't freeze up and crack the lower unit?

Already have the gear oil changed, ran it dry, fogged the cylinders, etc.

Just want to make sure I've got all the water out.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

I know some guys turn the kill switch OFF (so the engine won't actually turn on) and then turn the ignition on to make sure the water is out of the pump itself when they are leaving the launch but I've never done it and if the engine were to come on for some reason it could get damaged.so I don't think it is worth it.  I just do as above.

Keep it vertical. Not halfway up or sideways. Rainwater or melting snow can get into the exhaust housing and freeze. Then in spring even though you did everything correct,you still have a cracked lower unit

Boat is kept in the garage, so no worries about water getting in, but good tip.   I have a buddy that keeps his slightly tilted up.   It's under tarps, but still, I will mention it to him.

Lower the motor and crank it. Never fogged the engine, 22 years old and waiting for it to fail to get a new motor but it just keeps on running. 92 Evinrude two stroke. Changed the lower gear case oil twice.

That's because you bought an Evinrude and not a Merc.

Besides,I suspect that you use that engine until very late in the season  and then again very early.

Keep it vertical. Not halfway up or sideways. Rainwater or melting snow can get into the exhaust housing and freeze. Then in spring even though you did everything correct,you still have a cracked lower unit

If you do keep it tilted just make sure all the water is drained out and put a  plastic garbage bag or a piece of heavy duty plastic with a bungi cord over the opening of the prop

That's because you bought an Evinrude and not a Merc.

Besides,I suspect that you use that engine until very late in the season  and then again very early.

I'm curious about what the difference is

Edited by Sk8man

I know some guys turn the kill switch OFF (so the engine won't actually turn on) and then turn the ignition on to make sure the water is out of the pump itself when they are leaving the launch but I've never done it and if the engine were to come on for some reason it could get damaged.so I don't think it is worth it.  I just do as above.

If you do this without water you can ruin a water impeller.  I would not advise doing this.

The thing about evinrude and mercury  is not valid,I like evinrude better than mercury ,but both have to be treated right.

Winterizing is done to prevent the damage done by engines that sit around too long  such as fuel going bad and clogging the carbs or rust forming in the crank case and cylinders.If you use your outboard without 5 to 6 month intervals, you don't need to winterize ,regular maintenance should be enough.

Edited by rolmops

Les, I'm with you on spinning the motor in the down position without starting for a few seconds when you come out of the water especially during the freezing days. Also would add whe you drop it in the water during winter it's smart to let it sit for a few minutes before you turn her over to defrost it a bit. Chas I hear what your saying about damage to the impeller but you won't hurt it if your quick about it, but I will tell you that you can kiss the impeller goodbye if water freezes on it and you go to start it up the next time. Again this is only for those absolutely crazy guys that fish for those black n yellow nasty tasting fish during those cold wintry days.........mmmmm

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I have to keep my boats outside in the winter. I always have kept my motors vertical. Just be sure you have enough clearance between your lower unit and the ground even if it means digging out under it. Your rig can sink several inches as the ground freezes and thaws and your lower unit can be damaged. Guess how i know that?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United