Which rods to switch to? Looking for some opinions

Sea-IV

I am switching my rods up for this season and then on. I am currently switching over to Shimano Telora rods only because I am a Shimano guy reels included. My reels will all be Tekotas this year but for my rods I currently have the roller rods for copper and dipseys, but for my rigger rods I usually run a medium for trout and a medium heavy for the salmon both in the 8 foot length. Does everyone run separate rods for salmon and trout or am I just anal about my gear ? I mean the boat is only so big and I currently carry about 16 different rods on the boat for all purposes copper, leadcore, dipsey, trout and salmon trolling. Just trying to eliminate some if I can but don't want to sacrifice action and fish if needed. Thanks for your guys help.

I don't have any pics at this point as the boat is wrapped up. But the rod holders I have were stock with the boat and fold out of the way when I am not using them. I also just got an overhead rods storage rack for the cuddy that will allow me the store 10 more rods

Here is a pic of what I am gonna add to the cuddy this year but I am concerned about head clearance

The rods will bounce out of those.  Go with the berkley locking rod holders.  I have them on the ceiling of my cuddy and it is perfect. 

As for rods, I run the following:

riggers - ( 8 ) 8 1/2' Daiwa Heartlands

Plainer rods - ( 8 ) 7 1/2' Daiwa Heartlands

Divers - (2) 8 1/2' Okuma Blue Diamond roller rods and (2)10' Okuma Blue Diamond roller rods

Copper - ( 8 ) Gander Mountain Guide Series 8' Leadcore rods

Leadcore (1) - Gander Mountain Guide Series 8' Leadcore Rods

Slide Divers (2) 9' Daiwa Heartland Diver rods

Edited by GAMBLER

Geez....I'm feeling better already ..... I should show this to my wife :lol: it makes me look almost "normal"  :)

They are just the tools of the trade.  You have to be ready for what ever conditions Lake Ontario throws at you! 

Here is a pic of what I am gonna add to the cuddy this year but I am concerned about head clearance

I tried that in my cuddy , a 19 foot Islander, and it sucked. They are too close together and you have no room  for rods with reels on them.

My solution is more practical and much cheaper. 1 1/2 and 2 inch electric conduit  hangers (the grey plastic ones) screwed onto 2  three quarter inch by three inch wide boards  and the boards screwed into the ceiling of the cuddy. one side for the butts and the other for the tips.The rods in alternating direction.

I have one set for the ceiling of the cuddy and two more sets for the sides which are set up vertically along the sides. For the ones on the side I cut the top third of the hangers off to make it easier to place and remove the rods.

This way, I have storage space for 20 rods with reels on, including leadcore and copper, all on the sides and the ceiling while leaving the cuddy  center open for additional gear and optional porta potty.

It took some measuring,but because I made it myself I could space them the way I needed them.

The cost of this setup was 5 dollars in materials.

Edited by rolmops

I carry 25 or 26 rods in the cuddy at all times, even though I seldom run more than 6 at one time.  Gotta have all the bases covered :lol: :lol:

Yes, you have to be ready for when you are really, really far from shore :lol::P :-P :party: :party:  8) :cool:

Edited by rolmops

This thread made me curious to inventory all my big lake stuff...31 set-ups. It'll be painful to add up this total investment in rod/reel set-ups, as I bought everything new.  Plus don't want to leave any evidence around for the wife to see. haha  This stuff should last a LONG time though... 

Planer Boards (Qty 8 - Target: Walleye) - Ugly Stik L 8' 3" Rods, Daiwa SG27LC3B Reels, 10lb Big Game, 10lb Seaguar Fluro

Planer Boards/Downriggers (Qty 4 - Target: Walleye/Browns) - Ugly Stik L 8' 3" Rods, Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500LC Reels, 12lb Big Game, 12lb Seaguar Fluoro

Downriggers (Qty 4 - Target: Walleye/Browns) - Ugly Stik L 7' Rods, Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500LC Reels, 12lb Big Game, 12lb Seaguar Fluoro

Short Leadcores (3,4,5,6) (Qty 4 - Target: Browns/Steelhead) - Okuma Classic Pro GLT 7' 6" ML Rods, Daiwa Saltist High Speed 30/40 Reels, 20lb Big Game Backer, 18lb Leadcore, 12lb Seaguar Fluoro

Long Leadcore (10) (Qty 1 - Target: Salmon/Steelhead) - Okuma Classic Pro GLT 7' 6" M Rod, Daiwa Seagate High Speed 50 Reel, 20lb Big Game Backer, 27lb Leadcore, 20lb Seaguar Fluoro

Downrigger (Qty 4 - Target: Salmon/Steelhead) - Okuma Blue Diamond 8' 6" M Rod, Daiwa Saltist High Speed 30LC Reels, 20lb P-line CXX, 20lb Seaguar Fluoro

Dipsey (Qty 2 - Target: Salmon/Steelhead) - Okuma Classic Pro GLT 9' M Rod, Daiwa Saltist High Speed 40LC Reels, Torpedo 19-strand wire

Dipsey (Qty 2 - Target: Salmon/Steelhead) - Okuma Classic Pro GLT 10' 6" M Rod, Daiwa Saltist High Speed 40LC Reels, Torpedo 19-strand wire

Copper (Qty 1 - Target: Salmon) - Okuma Classic Pro GLT 8' 6" Copper Rod, Daiwa Saltist High Speed 50LC Reel, 50# PP Backer, 45lb Blood Run Copper, 30lb Seaguar Fluoro

Copper (Qty 1 - Target: Salmon) - Okuma Classic Pro GLT 8' 6" Copper Rod, Daiwa Seagate High Speed 60 Reel, 50# PP Backer, 45lb Blood Run Copper, 30lb Seaguar Fluoro

Edited by FleetTracker