Color fish finder recommendations

Bad Habit

I've been having trouble with an old Eagle fish finder and am interested on opinions as to what might be the best color fish finder under $500. Do people prefer a dual frequency? I've always had Lowrance and Eagle so I don't know much about what else is out there at that price. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks, Rick

I would look I to the Garmin echomap 70s if I were you. I just picked up a unit and even tho I have had no direct experience with it I got lots of positive feedback on it. Typically a unit that sells for around a grande they are marked down to around your $500 range because the newest model is coming out. In my opinion best bang for your buck right now.

Under $500, buy yourself a used HDS5, want to spend $750 to $800 you can get yourself a used HDS7 Touch!

The prices on the HDS Gen 2s has dropped significantly as the Gen 3's have been launched.

So lots of people are basically selling their 1 to 2 year old units for cheap.

Elite 7 HDI with lake insight and sun cover $399.00 cablelas, just got the fishing catalog. Last year I paid $550.00 since then chirp came out $699.00 and now the Elite 9 chirp $1399.00 all within a year, talk about a marketing gimmick!! When I bought mine the Lawrance rep. Said there wouldn't be any major changes anytime soon!!! Yea OK then, kind of like the fish hawk. Best of luck to you.

When buying electronics whether computers, phones, or depth finders etc. the same principle applies.....you will NEVER get ahead of the game because the research and development is always about 2 years or more  ahead of the marketplace. I'm certain that CHIRP technology is already obsolete and was before it was introduced in the marketplace. I'm sure the military has more advanced stuff that will be "watered down" and "commercialized" too. Unfortunately, it is the global reality we now live with. As far as the depth finder issue it probably is wise to buy something of good quality and learn its strengths and weaknesses as far as fishing with it, use it frequently and get your money out of it and ignore the marketing hype etc.....usually leads to a happier life :)

Thanks for the suggestions. After looking at some of these I think I might be interested in trying a Humminbird Helix 5 DI.  For the money it looks pretty good. I've always had Lowrance and Eagle products but have had my share of issues. I just need to read up a little on this "down imaging" and "switchfire" technology to understand it a little better. 

I couldn't agree more with Les, I fished with a hummingbird 727 for 10 years, yup black& white waited patiently for years for the price of the down scan to come into my money bracket, then Cabelas had a $100.00 off and Lowrance had a $150.00 mail in rebate which brought the$699.00 Finder into my price range. I'm very happy with it. Might be another 10 years till the 12" touch screen are in my price range, but I might have to update my 1982 fish platform first. LOL.