Finally rid of the skunk SLR

Prof T

Finally put things together ... right program in a good spot...5th time out...

5 for 6 with two shorties. Best fist was just over 24", but went a little over 5 1/4 lbs on my trusty old green fish de-lier. Pulled the storm floater behind my home-made bottom bouncer a la Kevin Legg's instructions. Bouncer weighs about 8 oz.

I was fishing a heavy current section where there is a long 30 -35 ft shelf pretty tight to shore that drops to 90 feet quickly. I used to vertical jig out there.

Speed over ground (GPS) upstream about 1.2 to 1.5, downstream about 2.8. Caught fish going both ways. Even with that heavy a bouncer it was hard to get that nice 45 degree angle with the current and i had to let out quite a bit of line to get down. No matter, it worked.

I've got to admit, I spent quite a few hours getting the hang of pulling these things. I also laid down a few waypoints in the daylight so I could be pretty precise following the contour and not have to keep adjusting line out for big depth changes. 30 feet in and you're on shore, 40 feet out and you're over 100.

Thanks to everyone for posting such good info to help me get started.

post-156305-0-90486900-1433905631_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-24864300-1433905672_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-35050400-1433905737_thumb.jpg

Awesome, Awesome,Awesome, Congrats to your success!!! Now you got tast of it, it will be hard to not want to go again and again!!!

The willingness of guys like Kevin and others on this board, to share information that took lifetimes to acquire, is what got those fish caught last night! I've jigged that spot a dozen times a summer for the last 4 years and might have taken 10 fish in total.

By the way, Kevin never mentioned what it's like to net those fish alone when you've got a half pound of lead dangling between you and the fish and the current twisting the boat exactly the opposite way you hoped it would go.

Glad there were no witnesses!

It is a circus fishing alone when I'm running two long lines and a heavy bottom bouncer. I keep heading slowly into the current to keep pressure on the fish. If you put the boat in neutral with multiple lines out bad things can happen. I also carry two nets and use the smaller rubber net on small fish to avoid hook tangles which are a pain in the dark.

Prof,

I am pleased to hear of your success!!! As you point out, LOU is a wonderful site with a depth of knowledge and many experienced contributors. Its really a pleasure to participate in a special community devoted to the outdoors. Kudos to you. Tight lines.

Esox

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United