Electronics question

Does any one know the answer to this ... My wireless remote has two AAA batteries that are side by side, one faces "+" side up the other side is "+" side down they are 1.5 volt, is the total 3.0 volts or is it still 1.5 volts . Next question is do they make a voltage reducer to go from 12 volt to what ever the answer is to the first question ... Reason for these questions , I would like to hard wire my remote to the main battery.

About 10 years ago I had a MinnKota trolling motor that was controlled by 6 1.5 volt batteries and if all the batteries weren't at maximum charge you couldn't use the motor. Pretty much had to put new batteries in every time you wanted to use. I had a engineer friend set it up to run off 12 volt with a voltage converter down to 9 volt for the transmitter. Not sure where he got parts but it wasn't too expensive. Most of it fit in where batteries had been and it was setup with a cigarette lighter plug to pickup the 12 volts so when you weren't using the motor you stowed it away. Worked good and I sold motor to a friend who used it for at least a couple more years. Never caused any problems with boat electrical system.

It is not sufficient to rely only on battery orientation in a battery holder. 

You must confirm that the positive pole of one battery electrically connects to the negative pole of the other battery to form a series circuit. Without confirming this, it's possible the batteries are electrically connected in a parallel circuit (it's rare, but there are battery holders like this).

Look for a thin metal clip (or possibly a wire) that acts as a jumper from one battery to the other. Don't be confused by wire(s) leading to and from the battery holder as these are not the jumper.

Series circuit 3V and Parallel circuit 1.5V.

Edited by John E Powell

The raymarine auto pilot will only work with fresh camera grade batteries , then it's only for 3 hrs.max. ;note to self never buy raymarine again!!!

I am curious what Raymarines Tech Support response was to this?  I use my remote a ton and go a 2 months with Lithium batteries.