Electric steering

I have an ez steer  on my kicker to i/o for 10 plus years now never had a  problem . the only eclectic steer i seen work was on a new four stroke was nice but when unloading boat on a windy day it got away from the guys unloading the boat  and it hit the dock taking out the eclectic steer device on kicker  i was told to replace it ran 300 $ sure is not cheap to keep up a boat was wounding if you got the right application for your boat for the ez steer system

Edited by fisherdude

I had a Panther remote steer on the boat. It was hard to get used to for others and honestly it was much easier using the EZ steer with the boat steering wheel. I still have the Panther as a back up but doubt I'll ever hook it back up

I believe there is normally a sticker on the EZ Steer connector stating that the tension is factory adjusted and messing with it can  be a problem.

A connection to the main drive is awfully helpful by steering your boat in higher winds because it increases your rudder advantage with both units coordinating turning together. The off set of your kicker motor placement makes steering difficult.

A styrofoam float tube on your steering tube will save your tube from sinking the next time. A two time loser made me scared of E Z steer connections.

Edited by jimski2

I have a t4. I made mine wireless using a winch control. No need for someone else to drive. I drive anywhere anytime. Fishing solo or with guests. I clip the remote on my pocket and forget about it. I currently have a t4 on my 20hp Honda. Works great. Used one on my 9.9 for almost five years. Great unit. Not the most responsive unit, but, you're not making full turns just adjustments while trolling.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Reelfanatic - the noodle section is a good idea I've had a section of it on both the EZ steer connector and also the extension handle for my kicker throttle just in case I get "clumsy"  (which in my case may be highly probable) :lol:

Why are you guys messing around with ez-steer? I looked at it and said no way am I going to invest 250.00 on a rod that sits outside the boat to steer and sounds like it falls off pretty regularly.  Purchase 2- 1/2 inch female rod ends/heim joints from e-bay...cost me 12.00 and these are heavy duty well made...purchase 1/2" stainless steel rod from zoro.com for 15.00. Cut rod to fit. I purchased a bracket to mount to my seastar hydraulic steering main motor for about 70.00.  Now you have it connected inside the boat with 2 stainless hitch pins that can be removed in an instant and both motors can be raised and lowered independently from each other connected. You will need a steering mount/plate for your kicker which can be made or purchased from the dealer for about 30.00. Works great and replacement parts are dirt cheap.       

I've had EZ steer on two boats and I couldn't get either one of them to work right I'm screwing around now trying to get EZ steer to work on a outdrive to an outboard 15 horse 4-stroke and the rod keeps collapsing I can't get it to work I've got the tension screw on the 15 horse loosened up as much as it'll go the rods are lined up good and that EZ steer rod keeps collapsing I don't want to tighten it anymore

Sent from my Z936L using Lake Ontario United mobile app