Weighted Steel - Special thanks to Russell at Anglers Avenue

Weighted Steel - Special thanks to Russell at Anglers Avenue

Going all in this year on weighted steel.  Had Russell at Angler's Avenue spool them up for me.  If you want to go with weighted steel, he is the one go to go get them spooled.

Have a 25ft, 50ft, 100ft, 150ft, 200ft, 250ft, 300ft all on brand new Daiwa Sealine SLW60H 6 to 1 reels.

weightedSteel1.jpg

weightedSteel2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions.   The sink rate is equal to copper correct?  Is the 45lb or 60lb weighted steel the same as your 45lb copper?  I see diameters are pretty similar but is 300 the max amount you can buy weighted steel?

as far as I know that is the largest size although it should not matter because they claim, and far as I can tell have proven it that as long as that steel is out there it keeps sinking at around the same rate even once you're into the backing. the best way I can articulate it is that300 feet of weighted Steel plus 300 feet of wire or braid backing we'll get it down as far as a 600 copper.my setup is a 300 weighted Steel on a Sealine 60 with about 700 feet of wire backing which should get me as deep as I ever will need to go.

but will it get you to a known depth?   Is it tougher to target a certain depth?   I am intrigued by weighted steel.   The other thing  im wondering about is its action in the water.  It seems like sometimes copper is the ticket and i wonder if it has something to do with the action of the line

Yeah they say it has the same dive curve as 45# copper. Only fished it 2x so far so hard to speculate on its finer attributes. What i do kno w is its alot easier to deal with than copper. Search torpedo weighted steel on youtube, the owner has a couple videos up. You can always call them, theyre super helpful

14 minutes ago, Landshark said:

but will it get you to a known depth?   Is it tougher to target a certain depth?   I am intrigued by weighted steel.   The other thing  im wondering about is its action in the water.  It seems like sometimes copper is the ticket and i wonder if it has something to do with the action of the line

I've always had the hunch that both copper and leadcore do things in the water that gets attention of the fish.I think the whipping action of the leadcore both horizontally and vertically attracts them to the vibrations or commotion  and I suspect that the copper may vibrate and possible interact electrically as well and some fish have great sensitivity of their lateral line to pick up on it as well as vibrations.

Agreed  SK8MAN, That and not knowing the real depth if it continues to sink would be the only reasons i would hesitate to switch.   I think a little time and a fish Hawk TD would solve a lot of my questions  on  its depth

Edited by Landshark

Weighted Steel - Special thanks to Russell at Anglers Avenue Going all in this year on weighted steel.  Had Russell at Angler's Avenue spool them up for me.  If you want to go with weighted steel, he is the one go to go get them spooled.

Have a 25ft, 50ft, 100ft, 150ft, 200ft, 250ft, 300ft all on brand new Daiwa Sealine SLW60H 6 to 1 reels.

weightedSteel1.thumb.jpg.88b8378704beefb709a6f52e18f1d3e6.jpg

weightedSteel2.thumb.jpg.dc686ac88f6e728562a4a54d6bd69099.jpg

Did you have them use 19 strain wire as a backing? If so how do you know how much wire you have out without some counter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 6 years later...
On 3/28/2017 at 8:34 AM, vetting said:

Just 50lb braid for the backer.  We rarely fish for fish deeper than 75ft under the surface in Milwaukee so I really dont need that much depth.

Older post but I was curious how the sealines have held up?