Furuno Fishfinder

Fishstix

I am in the market for a new fishfinder. Trying to decide between a FCV 628 or an 1870f.

I don't care about sidescan or chirp or GPS. I just want a good fishfinder that lasts more than a year or two

before it starts freezing up ,losing bottom,shutting down.etc. etc...

If anyone out there has one of these units I would like a few reports.

I will be running a transom mt. transducer.

If you don't need the GPS then go with the stand alone unit. Still using the semi- predecessor to that ,FCV 585 and there is a used one on ebay that there asking 695.00 and in general they go for 500+ used. So people are still looking for IMHO a top of the line FF that hasn't been made in a few years. Also using the 600W transducer on O and the boat has a 1000 W unit in it as well. The 600 just seems to work better for some reason. Sorry don't have either exact unit but no one has replied so I thought I would throw that out there. When the 585 gives up the ghost or current upgrades are taken care of I may go with the FCV 588 although the FCV 295 is more on my radar.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

I fish with a 585 , a 582 and on my own boat with a 628. All have the same great ease of use although the 628 has a few added possibilities. The larger screens on the 582 and 585 are nice ,but not crucial. If I would have to buy another one tomorrow it would be a 588 because the 1000 watt gives you the option of using a far more sensitive transducer and it is amazing to be able to see not only your downrigger balls but also your cable on the screen. Although ,in the end they only help you locate the fish. You still have to do the catching yourself.

I forgot to mention this,but with the boat running at at 25 mph a simple turn on the knob to lower sensitivity will allow you to read bottom, some structure and even the 582 with at least 10 years on it has never been known to loose bottom or freeze up.

No matter what Furuno you pick, it the best tool on the market.

Edited by rolmops

http://www.nhanglers.com/blog/?p=286

I have the Furuno unit. As far as a FF I love it. Disappointed with mapping on the smaller lakes by me but Ontario and larger lakes out your way it is fine.

Not an easy unit to figure out but if you've been around FF a while you'll catch on quickly. I wrote the above blog before I put any significant time on the unit. I'm pretty happy with it now as they updated the map on the local lake I fish most. I don't really use the 4d end of the plotter but it is kind of cool. Maybe for the ocean that would be better.

Would I get it again? I believe I would. I do like Navionics charts which when I bought my unit didn't work in it, but this FF is lights out the best.

7 hours ago, bigcat said:

The FCV-620 Works perfect. I run a 600 W trans with it and I can see fish running no problem and both rigor balls.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

20170507_164105.jpg

Bigcat_ I have this same unit with a P66 transducer. How do you get your fish marks to look like this? Don't mean to hijack this thread. My screen options for fish marks either show up as "size" or "fish symbols" just curious on your settings. to the original post - this 620 has worked wellformed with over 1100 hours in the Fingers.

Dave

15 hours ago, superhawk18 said:

Bigcat_ I have this same unit with a P66 transducer. How do you get your fish marks to look like this? Don't mean to hijack this thread. My screen options for fish marks either show up as "size" or "fish symbols" just curious on your settings. to the original post - this 620 has worked wellformed with over 1100 hours in the Fingers.

Dave

it has to do with the picture advance speed which you can adjust. if you put it at 1 or 1/2 you will short solid fish marks and if you put it at 4 you will have very long marks. As for the symbols. You can simply switch off that option and that will make the symbols and size go away.

Edited by rolmops

Got my first Furuno fish finder in 1986 and it started acting up around 2008 or 2009 so I replaced it with an FCV620, came with a P66 and it works very well. I also have a stand alone Furuno GPS that works well also, probably 15 or more years old. They make very good products and most of us are only using there "home owner" grade of equipment, I would love to use some of their commercial sounders.

Bob

For the best price on a Furuno or for that matter most other fishing electronics. It pays to make a visit to a website called the " Hull truth".In their electronics section there is a seller called "SemperFiFishing". If you register on the hull truth website ,he will give you some serious discounts. The guy's name is Gil Travis, his militairy past is obvious.

Right now he sells the 588 for $1195 and the 628 for $595

Edited by rolmops

And Bob also truly believes that every fish symbol that appears on the screen is a real trophy fish so there may be psychological benefits as well :lol:

11 hours ago, rolmops said:

For the best price on a Furuno or for that matter most other fishing electronics. It pays to make a visit to a website called the " Hull truth".In their electronics section there is a seller called "SemperFiFishing". If you register on the hull truth website ,he will give you some serious discounts. The guy's name is Gil Travis, his militairy past is obvious.

Right now he sells the 588 for $1195 and the 628 for $595

That's the same price as they go for on ebay . Unless he takes more off when you register on   thehulltruth.com   .  FYI that price does not include the transducer if you need one.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

34 minutes ago, superhawk18 said:

Do you think the rezboost is close to chirp? I can not find details on rezboost. The new units claim chirp like results.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

To get the most answers just google  Furuno Rez Boost and a ton of forums post will show up . Basically it means high resolution and you can use a conventional transducer. RezBoost on the FCV 588 is supposed to be 8 times clearer than it predecessor FCV 587.. Kind of hi-jacking this thread but the OP has yet to respond to any of these replies,so.....

Edited by Bozeman Bob

I had a Furuno FCV 667 that I ran for about 13yrs. It got so I could not turn the brilliance up enough to view in direct sunlight.  It was a great fishfinder I could track downrigger balls and see the thermalcline .I still have the p66 transducer on the boat.

At that time a Furuno was out of the budget. So the last 5 or 6 yrs Ive been running brand X.Three different units to be exact I spent enough money I could have bought a Furuno. The 1870f and the FCV628 are the basement models. I was looking for some feedback on these.

There has been a lot of good info on this thread lets keep it going.