Cayuga Interesting diet items in Cayuga LTs

Lakers were shallow this AM (5/7) and apparently took advantage of the full moon to chow on perch, rockbass, goby, Alewife, and a fat senko-like soft plastic.

boards with stick baits were hot till 9am, then nothing. all colors seemed to work 

0BD77753-1DC1-41F6-8ACC-DA485184B534.jpeg

1F4F987F-0337-4AA9-B3C8-5B76289879C0.jpeg

• Like 2

They are famous for eating plastics.  Someone posted a picture years ago of a laker that ate a foot of a dead animal.  I believe it was a raccoon foot.  I will see if I can dig up the post.  

The take away should be don’t throw spent baits overboard. Yes, fish will tear them off but treat spent baits like most treat spent mono. 

We caught a laker still fishing sawbellies on Canandaigua many years ago in 160 FOW, when I cleaned it, it had a partially digested mouse in its belly. Not quite on your theme but interesting none the less.

“a flasher n’Senko” I like the idea but you’d  have to refer to it by some obscure name....like a Chady-K rig! 

One of my first jobs working in the Finger Lakes (1998) was angler diets from Skan & Owasco, Skan Lakers had monarch butterflies in stomachs frequently.  I bet some LOU folks helped collect those.

And yes I just checked the smoker......spring Cayuga lakers are tasty!