Western Finger Lakes

Sneaky Duck

I just moved to Rush from Charlotte.  I've been ice fishing northern Monroe county on the ponds in Greece, Bradocks, and Irondiquate Bays, but I'd like to head south now that I live more south.  Where's the best access points to get on the ice for Conesus, Hemlock, Canadice, and Honeoye? Also, from your experience, which freeze up first and where's the highest likelihood to find safe ice early season?  I'm not a small guy, and would prefer not swim.  hahaha

Honeoye south end 1st, state boat launch

Conesus north end 2nd, Vitale Park.

canadice and Hemlock are deep. They take significantly longer.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun.

Edited by bosco
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bosco said:

Honeoye south end 1st, state boat launch

Conesus north end 2nd, Vitale Park.

canadice and Hemlock are deep. They take significantly longer.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun.

Thanks man!  Appreciate it.  You stay safe as well.

Honeoye is usually the first to ice over as it is the shallowest and is pretty protected. You do have to be VERY cautious though as there are gas pockets and stream run offf that can make entry and or exit unsafe early and late in the season. Don't take any chances out there. . Take a spud with you and "feel' your way out

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

Honeoye is usually the first to ice over as it is the shallowest and is pretty protected. You do have to be VERY cautious though as there are gas pockets and stream run offf that can make entry and or exit unsafe early and late in the season. Don't take any chances out there. . Take a spud with you and "feel' your way out

Good to know.  Thanks.  I’m usually a wimp and won’t go out till theres 5-6 inches so there are normally other guys out.  But knowing it’s hairy at the edges is very helpful.

True although he was mentioning Finger Lakes and Loon is more like a pond:smile: but some decent perch, crappies and bass in there. Problem is usually parking unless you know someone that lives there. Other than that the Laff a Lot restaurant lot is about the only game in town.

According to reports from sodus bay it will be awhile before any safe ice

Boats are still being launched at the county ramp 

Thurday looks like a good day for cast and blast

Bluebills and perch lol

Happy Holidays 

John 

Besides gas pockets, watch out for the bubblers around the marine and private docks.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great point! I don't know why I forgot that one :smile: The danger can exist many yards away from the bubbler itself too as the current from it can travel along the shoreline.

Edited by Sk8man