Opening Night Walleye Coming - Where and What you trying?

scramp

I know everybody has to be getting excited. I can't wait to hit the Conesus Lake Inlet to see the run, when the weather improves. Where is everybody going (don't need the honey hole...just lake)? What things are you trying? Talking the nights.

I'm going to try a bunch of things this year. All my fishing will be on Conesus Lake both for Walleye at night and Pike during the day.

Going to try trolling the shallows with every lure I have.

If that doesn't work, then casting the shallows with every lure I have.

What about jigging at night? How, what, and where at night on Conesus?

I will be entertaining family for my daughters 1st communion that afternoon (and probably the next day too) :headbang::@ Choice of 3 days and she went ahead and picked that one after I told her not to :devil:

ok rant over :$ If I do get out either Sat AM or sometime sunday I'm sure it will be conesus, given the proximity. no chance at a night gig, so it will be a piker day for me. I'm sure the lot will be a zoo though

You'll get over it Nitro. :) I'll be down on Seneca hunting turkey in the morning maybe fishing in the after noon. Be down there for a week. Sure nice they open the Pike and Turkey season the same day, it spreads us out a little. You guys on Oneida be careful, don't bump into each other. What ever you do be safe and have a good time. :yes::yes::beer:

I know, turkey opens Friday. ;) .

I just can't wait. Definately will be hitting Conesus hard due to proximity as well. Walleye at night and Pike by day. It will be crazy down by the inlet in the AM and early PM there, but it always produces even with 15 boats down there.

Anyone got a clue where you can get Creek Chubs or HUGE shiners? Art's bait shop here has great bait, but a mix of big/small.

Hey Scramp- not sure where you're coming from, but I hit the bait shop at the South end of I-bay on my way out if I'm fishing live bait. they have some large swimmers that I use for pike. not sure if they're technically shiners or not, I never pay attention to those details.

Good luck - I'll be thinkin of you guys if the ball and chain won't unshackle me for a few hours... :angel:

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to walleye fishin, but I know what I will be throwin. The last three times out fishin for bass I have caught walleye on my 3'' powebait grub with a 1/4 oz. jighead.

I used this lure years ago as a kid and nailed a lot of bass on it when I traveled accross the country with my folks. I tried it again and its been nice.

I can't wait to try eatin this fish for the first time...

Interesting on the Grub. I've never tried that before. What do you do, straight retrieve or do you jig it in? What color?

Anyone else on that theory?

When you all say "jigging for eyes" what do you mean? Vertical below boat? At night? How deep and what to jig?

I'll share my opening night sucess (hopefully) on Saturday in case I get lucky to give some tips for Conesus.

I have been castin it out and workin it on the bottom. I've had luck with bass on a swimmin retrieve. So far this year I've caught pike, walleye, bass and sheepshead all on the same jig.

Oh year firetiger color since i've been fishin murky water. I think the key is the scent. The powerbait scent smells pretty bad...

But I'm afraid once the season opens my luck will change...

See ya out there,

Phil

that's all they do in the Maumee River out of Lake Erie in Toledo. They use a carolina rig (floating jig with a twister tail grub) and catch the river eye's on a start/stop retrieve or just winding it in keeping touch with the bottom. Very effective out there.

I had visions of being on either Ontario or Oneida, but the big boat's not out of storage yet. I'll probably check the Susky for any post spawners that stuck around. Big boat will be out next week though! :) Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)