Mag 10

I purchased a new Mag 10, with 250-ft per minute speed. Has anyone had troubles with the cannonballs breaking loose with the down position when it stops. Any info would be appreciated Thanks.

Yes I run schockers. 👍

No I did not loose anything. My friend did, he let it down to the depth desired stopped it the line snapped 8 ft above the ball according to the counter. I have not installed mine yet. Just finished the assembling. Thanks for the info. 

Edited by Chaff

Chaff;

I have four Traxtech riggers on my boat, & they have soft start & stop, so no problems with overstressed cable, & gear loss, as they start slowly, & slow down when they are within five feet of the stop point. 

Good luck with your Cannons.

John

Thanks. This happened to my friend. He was running it out stopped it snapped 9 ft above the ball, according to the counter. I purchas One and when he was telling me. I'm going to try mine out this week. Thanks for your response. I also run Amish Outfitters schockers even on my old slow ones

Thanks. This happened to my friend. He was running it out stopped it snapped 9 ft above the ball, according to the counter. I purchas One and when he was telling me. I'm going to try mine out this week. Thanks for your response. I also run Amish Outfitters schockers even on my old slow ones

I’m on same page as Gambler thinking your friends issue was a cable problem caused by a kink, poor connection, bad spot in cable.  I’ve been running newer series Cannon Mag’s with Amish snubbers for years and have no issue loosing weights with a variety of weight sizes.  Make sure your cable connections are good and keep an eye on cable end and enjoy your new rigger.

Thanks Mr 580. Your info is much appreciated. I have one other question if you do not mind. Does that little insulator actually work and break the circuit before the ball comes out of the water. I have a fiberglass boat with an IO. Grady White. 

That little black insulator does work and controls the short stop.  Cannon has used that style system for over 30 years-was on the Mag 10’s I bought in 1986.  I might worry about a few things not working on my boat, downriggers would be down towards the bottom of the list.