New boat

Brady95

Hey there everyone! Couple questions! So I bought a new to me boat it’s a 24ft Penn Yan with the 5.0. We have our annual trip to Olcott in may. I was wondering if a troll plate would work decent for this year instead of trying to find a kicker with a couple months left. Plus I’ve been busy trying to get everything from rods to tackle! Thanks again for any help!

Edited by Brady95

a pair of trolling bags will get your speed down, pretty easy to learn also.. just make sure you get a big enough pair, min 30".  Beaver-Troll is the only device i have ever seen that is made for an I/O

On 1/19/2022 at 10:11 AM, TyeeTanic said:

I used a troll plate in the past, you really lose your ability to steer. That's the one big downfall.

I would agree with the others, drift bags are your best bet ... provides stability to the boat too ... if you have a bag out on each side.

So do you run them off the back on each side? The guy gave me two bags but I’ve never used them before. Just didn’t want them to be in the way of netting and fighting

On 1/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, Brady95 said:

So do you run them off the back on each side? The guy gave me two bags but I’ve never used them before. Just didn’t want them to be in the way of netting and fighting

Most guys put them about midway down the boat on the sides, right next to or just behind the captain's seat. This keeps them well away from the lines. You just want them in a place where you can get them in and out of the water easily, and away from the stern for sure.

Tie them to each side of the boat so they lay in the water somewhere midship, but still able to easily reach them to pull them out.  Be sure to use tag lines(loose lines attached to the trailing end of the trolling bag) and attach them further back along the side.  These tag lines are used to 1). keep the bag from being sucked under the boat. 2). Retrieve the bag when done trolling.  The bags are way easier to empty of water by lifting from the trailing end of the bag. 3). If the tow line breaks, the tag line will keep it near the boat so you can retrieve it, if it hasn't found its way into your prop.

• Like 1